RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Our leopard gecko has been struggling to eat for a few days

Customer Question

Hello. Our leopard gecko has been struggling to eat for a few days now. He will try to grab the wax worm with his mouth but it keeps falling out. Then, today we noticed a bit of heavy panting and blood. We think he may have been attached by the other leopard gecko in his tank. Could he have mouth rot? how can we know for sure?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the leopard gecko can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about a year and a half years old. he has lived with the other gecko since they were babies.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we think the two geckos have been fighting for a week or so
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
you can find a video of toothless here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xvzO08iwT37R4cNwiS9JYA5d3bEY03TJ/view?usp=sharing
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 8 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your geckos.

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent here. As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and I apologize if there has been a delay. I will get back to you as soon as I can, there can be a delay (especially with time difference) however I will respond to you. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

Adult geckos should not be kept together. Often people do keep them together but in my experience they do not do well. They often fight once they reach adult age and start becoming territorial. 

If he is struggling to eat, it is possible he may have mouth rot but you would need to have a vet examine him to check the mouth. Mouth rot is usually gradual in onset.  I would advise getting him booked in with a reptile vet.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Rebecca. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, based on my research I thought it might be mouth rot as well. I've booked an appointment with our local vet who specializes in reptiles. But, unforatunately, they don't have availability until Monday. Will the Gecko's be ok until then? I've not seen the one eat since Sunday. Thanks.
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 7 days ago.

I would recommend syringe feeding her with lafeber emeraid solution or vetark critical care, to make sure she stays hydrated and get some nutrition into her.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 4 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.