Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My cat is biting her fur all underneath her belly, a good

My cat is biting her fur all underneath her belly
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the cat was acting this way? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: a good few months ago and she is now doing it on a regular basis
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with this behavior?
Customer: no I haven’t a clue on how to treat her
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: My cats name is ***** ***** she is 4 in September
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Spot?
Customer: no not that I can think of
Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.
If Spot has been spayed, this biting at her fur and licking at these areas, this is often called a Hormone Responsive Alopecia. This is caused by the lack of estrogen which is a component of skin and fur health and for some reason, they will start to pull out their fur and lick at these areas. Your veterinarian will examine this area to determine the cause and appropriate treatment. Often this is a injection of a long acting cortisone that will stop this behavior for months if not longer. It is not curable but manageable with medication. This could also be allergies which your veterinarian will determine after an exam.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your response it has been most helpful. Do you know how I can make a appointment with pdsa huyton

I am sorry but I do not know. I believe that you will have to call them for this appointment. Good luck!❤️