DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+yrs Exp in vet care. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice
20798050

I have a small dog and he has had a lot of blood in he’s

Customer Question

Hi , I have a small dog and he has had a lot of blood in he’s poo. My son has had him and he said that he was being sick as well
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice there was blood in the dog's stool? Does he seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: I have been away and my son had him . About 3 days ago he sent me son photos of he’s poo and there was quite a lot of blood, later that day he sent me another one and he’s poo was runny and black , he said he had also been sick
JA: Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: i don’t know as he had him for 5 days. But in saying that he seems ok . Just worried
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Georgie and he’s about 7/8 years old I’m not sure as he’s a rescue
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Georgie?
Customer: No not really . I brought to the hospital a while back about he’s teeth
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Hello there. This is Dr.Paul Brazzell. I am sorry that you are having trouble with your pet; I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you. Please note that it may take a few minutes to see my reply to your posts. Discussing the case by phone allows me to be more efficient and accurate in assessing the problem. Now, let’s see if we can get this sorted out for you. Please let me know when you are ready to begin.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m ready
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Good afternoon! Nice to meet you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
You too
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Sorry to hear that Georgie is not feeling well. Is he neutered (fixed)?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you so much. Is he still passing fresh blood or his stool black?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My son said there was a tiny bit this morning
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think it was fresh
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you so much. Is he vomiting? Eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He was vomiting but it’s stopped now , my son said he seems ok other than that. He’s eating and drinking
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No he’s ok other than that. I’ve been to Yorkshire visiting my daughter so I’m only going by what my son has told me
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for that information. Please give me a few minutes to type my recommendations.

Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Okay, I am back. I am quite worried about Georgie. The black stool tells us that he is bleeding from higher up in his gastrointestinal tract. The fresh blood tells us that he is bleeding from lower down in his GI tract. This could be due to toxicity, ulcerations, a GI mass or masses, or less likely, foreign bodies. I would recommend taking him in for an examination and blood/urine testing, and abdominal X-rays. It is important that we rule out these problems, as they can be quite serious. I am so sorry.

Paul

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
can I make an appointment for the PDSA hospital
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Yes, you can contact them. We are not associated with the PDSA.

Paul

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

You are so very welcome- Please keep me apprised. And, have a happy and safe year!

Please feel to reach out to me if you have any more questions regarding this problem or any future concerns.

I am here to help!

Paul

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

My pleasure!

Expert:  DocPaul replied 13 days ago.

Good morning.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. If you have any follow-up questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

Thank you so much for using Just Answer.

If you have more questions about this or any other problem, please feel free to request me. I would love to help.

Paul