Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We are feeding three stray cats and have been for over a

We are feeding three stray cats and have been for over a year. We have one cat of our own. One of the cats was badly injured three weeks ago with a bleeding eye and what looked like an injury below his jaw line. I looked after him although he roams and won’t settle and he healed but today he has exactly the same thing. I’m worried it’s an abscess and very bloody. I have a couple of photos. How could you help us? He will no doubt return for a meal but I’m not able to keep him in the house for long. He is not spade either. What would the procedure be to have him get attention? Thank you Sandie
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the cat bleeding?
Customer: the blood was fresh and dripping into his food bowl. The blood around the eye was slightly less fresh and runny.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: it’s a stray cat we’re feeding so hard to know. He feels older but very agile. We call him big ginge.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No unless I send you photos? We are only working part time currently and so can’t afford big bills but the poor thing needs attention. He is eating very well and was fed about an hour ago.
Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for the cat.

If he has not been neutered, this will go a long way towards explaining the repeated fights and puts him at thigh risk for future fights, sexually transmitted diseases and car accidents.

With regards ***** ***** it sounds like he needs antibiotics and anti inflammatories as well as a deep cleaning of the wound. Please feel welcome to send any photos for assessment.

As the lesion is near the eye, we need to stain it for any ulcers in case of damage. If there is an ulcer, the prompt application of topical antibiotics is very important.

In situations like this, you can call a local vet and ask if you can bring him in. If they are happy to see him and you can bring him in, this is the quickest way to get him help.

He should be neutered and medication will be started.

If you can afford the bill and are willing to pay, excellent.

Understandably, if not, you can contact the RSPCA. They can often offer a PO number to fund some or all of the treatment.

An alternative is to call the RSPCA and ask for a warden to come and collect him and bring him to the local hospital for treatment. They will neuter him too.

All vets will also scan for a microchip; just in case!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Pearl. I have signed up.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Linda, this is really helpful. I will call RSPCA. We are keen to get two of the stray we’re feeding neutered to help themselves but can’t currently sue to financial contraints but they are gorgeous cats and clearly not homed. We put out a poster campaign in the local community and they haven’t been identified. Is there a chance that the rspca would keep the cat or might we be able to take him in and care for him? We’ve lived on the street for nearly 5 years and these cats have been around since we got here but only been fed by us in the past 2 years or just less. Thanks for your advice.

It is true that the RSPCA may take the cat for rehoming, yes.

You can ask them this before any collection is made.

However, if you wish to adopt them, I'd advise you use the C4 scheme. This is a scheme offering neutering at a range of clinics across the UK for a £5 donation for cases just like this.

This is the website: https://www.cats.org.uk/c4/home.asp

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That’s great to here. We only want him to be safe and well but we’ve become very fond of him and socks the other stray who visit us two or three times a day and we know they’re not homes which is desperately sad. If we could help Ging, we would adopt him and socks too as they are gorgeous animals who deserve more love and are very thankful for being fed and watered.
Thank you for this information. I will pursue.

Fingers crossed this all works out well; they are very they have you looking out for them!