RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I have a royal python that's been off his food, he's on

Customer Question

I have a royal python that's been off his food, he's on occasion done this before but only for a month. At present he's not eaten for about 10 weeks, he's not lost much weight but I'm still concerned. Is there anything you could advise.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the python also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: He's still active as usual, mostly at night. Doesn't appear more tired than usual
JA: Does the python seem to be in any pain?
Customer: he seems content even when put pressure when handling him.
JA: And what's the python's name and age?
Customer: Name Houdini, we rescued him about 7 yrs ago n believe he's about 10years now
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Over winter he lost a penile spine, growing back nicely. We had thought that could be that causing his appetite loss.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't mind waiting for answers
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 14 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your snake.

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent here. As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and I apologize if there has been a delay. I will get back to you as soon as I can, there can be a delay (especially with time difference) however I will respond to you. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

I would say its pretty unlikely that losing a penile spur would cause innapetance. It can be normal for snakes not to eat for a duration of time, but sometimes it can be a sign of underlying illness. Does he seem lethargic or unwell at all? Has he got any symptoms such as respiratory effort, nasal discharge etc?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your reply, there's no noticeable discharge or breathing issues whilst in Viv or whilst handling
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 13 days ago.

There are lots of different things which can be causing inappetance. It can be quite normal for royal pythons not to eat for a while. They are quite fussy. I would recommend bathing him once every two days in shallow luke warm water, with the addition of an electrolyte like reptoboost. this will help keep him hydrated. You can also try a smaller prey size, e.g pinkies/fuzzies, as sometimes this helps.

Other things that you can try include 'braining' the food items (mushing them up) as this increases the scent that is produced. You can also heat up the food item if you don't do this already, to body temperature. I would recommend trying to give him the prey item overnight in a pillow case and closing him in with it, that can help.

I hope this helps.

Please come back to us if you have any further questions,