Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My parrot bit me while playing with me. The wound was

Hi my parrot bit me while playing with me. The wound was bleeding but small. I used antiseptic spray to clean it but was wondering if I can get a disease from its bite? I have had its stool teated for psittacosis, negative.
Any symptoms i need to look out for?
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.
There are quite a few zoonotic (spread from species to species) diseases of birds:  avian tuberculosis, erysipelas, ornithosis, cryptococcosis, histoplasmosis, salmonellosis, cryptosporidiosis, campylobacterosis, and escherichiosis. but none are transmitted through a bite.  As with any bite wound, however, bacterial contamination is possible and so you should consult with your doctor who knows your health best.  A systemic antibiotic might be prescribed.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks that is reassuring and I will do that.What about serious things like tetanus?

Thankfully, we don't find the bacterium Clostridium tetani in birds.  Please continue in this conversation if you wish.