How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Linda Simmon Your Own Question
Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 7625
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Linda Simmon is online now

German shepherd dog, She ate chewing gum, but we are unsure

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: German shepherd dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the German Shepherd Dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: She ate chewing gum, but we are unsure how many
JA: How much of the gum did the German Shepherd Dog eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: Maybe 3 pieces, not sure. She is 32 kg
JA: Has she thrown up since this happened?
Customer: No It happened about 5-10 minutes ago
JA: What's the German Shepherd Dog's name and age?
Customer: Lexi, 13 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lexi?
Customer: She is having antibiotic treatment at the moment
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Lexi.

Most importantly, did this gum contain the sweetener known as Xylitol?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.

In this case, she is at risk of toxicity as xylitol is highly toxic to dogs.

I would advise immediately seeing a vet to induce vomiting.

They may also offer supportive care in the form of a fluid drip containing glucose to prevent low blood sugar levels, which can be serious, even leading to coma or death.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.

The toxic dose is 0.1g/kg, or 3.2g for her.

One piece of gum can contain up to 1g of xylitol, so she has quite possibly eaten just about the toxic dose.

This is the kind of thing we don't want to take chances on so vet treatment is the safest option.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hi there, how is Lexi doing?

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if there is anything else,

Take care,

Linda.