Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My cats belly is round by her hind legs, her belly looks

Customer Question

hello, my cats belly is round by her hind legs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: her belly looks swollen around her hind legs
JA: What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: mika and i think shes 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that i am aware of
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

Can you upload photos of Mika to our conversation?  You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
one moment
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (3527G6V)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I had to go to America and a coworker was watching her. I got her back and her belly fills swollen and she has hair missing around her belly

The excellent photos are worrisome for an abdominal effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity.  We also consider gaseous distension of the gastrointestinal tract, or organomegaly (enlargement of abdominal organs). An effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity is most likely and often the result of the FIP virus of cats, inflammation in the abdominal cavity due to bacterial infection or malignancy, right-sided heart failure, or hypoalbuminemia - a lack of the large protein albumin in the body due to a poorly functioning liver that can't produce enough albumin or albumin loss through failing kidneys or bowels

Mika's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam and perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If fluid is found in the abdomen by palpation (feeling) or seen in X-rays or ultrasound, a small amount is removed and analyzed for its physical qualities and cellularity.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

I regret that my veterinary board of examiners doesn't allow me to use the phone in this venue; however, another expert can see your phone request and respond to you.  You can also remain in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thats okay. Ill wait for the call

You're welcome to return to our conversation with additional questions and concerns if you wish.