Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My rabbit can barely function he’s not eating or drinking or

My rabbit can barely function he’s not eating or drinking or moving
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the rabbit's appetite?
Customer: within the last 24 hours We’ve been trying to feed him but he won’t eat anything managed to give him some water
JA: Does the rabbit seem to be in any pain?
Customer: he must be especially since he’s not moving
JA: And what's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Captain Bun, he’s around 5 or 6
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He’s usually very healthy he has had issues in the past with eating and drinking but it’s never been as severe and we had an all clear from vets he was fine in them times

Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm so sorry to hear how poorly Captain Bun is and understand your concern for him.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a true emergency.

Rabbits need to eat constantly to keep their gut moving. If they have not eaten in 4 hours and/or not passed poo, this is a red flag.

As he is not moving, I'm worried he is close to passing away.

At this point, his best hope at making it through is emergency vet care. They can provide fluids, gut motility drugs, syringe feeds and pain relief.

Possible causes for his current signs would include gut stasis (a slowing down of the gut which fills with air), an infection, organ failure etc.

Do you need the details for your nearest open clinic?

Hi there, how is your rabbit doing?

I do hope all is okay.

If there is anything else just let me know,

Linda.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Linda, sadly, after taking him to the pets and bringing him home, he passed away in our arms. It’s been a devastating loss for the family especially because we had him for 6 years, but we tried everything and our little boy didn’t pull through
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They told we could hospitalise him that night but the finances were nigh on impossible for us as a family so we stayed at the hospital for a couple of hours to see whether his condition would improve after being given the first dosage of the treatment plan but approximately at 4am, about 15 mins of arriving back home, we tried to feed him with syringe based on our vet surgeon’s request, but he wasn’t taking it in and he passed away in my arms

Oh I am so very sorry to hear this.

I hope you and your family are doing okay at such a difficult time.