Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a female Syrian hamster who will be coming up to 2 in

Customer Question

Hello, I have a female Syrian hamster who will be coming up to 2 in July. Its possible it's been 2 weeks since she started hiding away and burrowing, rarely coming out for anything, I found her burrowed in her sawdust. My partner cleaned her cage and we've noticed she's freezing and not using her corner she normally urinates etc in. I've used a warm hottie and a blanket to perk her up,
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the hamster's situation?
Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** last night she's not able to walk properly, she can barely use her legs like she's dragging herself, then she falls on her side. I think shes been hibernating and we have left her too long?
JA: Does anything look different with the hamster's legs/feet?
Customer: She looks a little more bloated than usual but nothing really different with her legs or feet
JA: What's the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's almost 2 in July
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Babs?
Customer: She seems very dehydrated. I have nursed her with her water bottle which she did respond to a few times. She is eating on and off. She has signs of constipation around her back end is dirty and I can't clean it
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 8 days ago.
Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Babs.

Her signs are alarming, especially as she is an older hamster.

They tend to hide away when unwell and getting hold can be due to poor circulation, shock or organ failure.

We would not expect hibernation in the summer (unless you artificially made the room very cold).

Also, hibernation is not associated with the other symptoms you have mentioned, which confirm she is sick.

The fact she is barely able to walk, again, could be due to the conditions listed above or e.g. a recent trauma or brain tumour.

Hamsters should never have a soiled bottom and this could be due to an infection.

I'm concerned she may be close to passing away.

I'd urge you to seek veterinary assistance. She may well benefit from some antibiotics, anti inflammatories and assisted feeding.

The vet might be able to provide a diagnosis after checking her over.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful reply, I have taken your advice and registered her with my local vet and am trying to make her as comfortable as possible, she has an appointment tomorrow. Thank you again

Ok, that is great.

If there is anything else, please just let me know.