CarynP625
CarynP625,
Experience:  dasdasd
113175116

A görög teknösöm nem ébred fel a téli álmábol. Néha eszik

Customer Question

Hi. A görög teknösöm nem ébred fel a téli álmábol. Néha eszik keveset. Nincs széklete és vizelete sem. Sajnos nem tudok angolul bocsanat
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Tortoise
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the tortoise's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: 1 honap
JA: What type of food does the tortoise normally eat?
Customer: Füfélét gyümölcsöt
JA: What's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Görög teknös. 11éves
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about 11éves?
Customer: Nincs. Mindég mozgekony vidam volt

Hi. My Greek turtle is not waking up from the winter dream. Sometimes he eats little. He has no stools or urine. Unfortunately I can't forgive English
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Tortoise
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the tortoise's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: 1 month
JA: What type of food does the tortoise normally eat?
Customer: Herbs and fruits
JA: What's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Greek turtle. 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about 11 years old?
Customer: None. It was always moving fun

Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

Expert:  CarynP625 replied 4 days ago.

I am sincerely ***** ***** there was a delay in someone responding to your question. (Experts are independent contractors and as such are online based on their own schedules.) However, I am available and can assist you if you still need veterinary advice.

Hello and thanks for posting your question on JustAnswer.com. My name is***** and I have been a licensed and accredited veterinarian in the US for over 22 years, specializing in aquatics, reptiles, amphibians, avian and other exotic species. JustAnswer is a question and answer service, not a veterinary telemedicine or emergency service. On this platform veterinarians can provide insight and advice based on the information you provide, but as this is not considered a legal client-patient relationship and we cannot examine your pet, we are unable to provide definitive diagnoses, prescribe medications, provide medical records or sign documents for your specific pet. For any of those you would need to make an in person visit with a local veterinarian. If your pet has a serious illness or life-threatening emergency, I strongly recommend you obtain hands-on veterinary care with a local veterinarian or veterinary emergency service as soon as possible. I am happy to chat with you via the JustAnswer app via text. For US based clients, if you are interested in a phone call instead that is an option you can choose for an additional charge. In the meantime, I am putting together some questions and/or suggestions to help with your pet’s concern.

Expert:  CarynP625 replied 4 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am sorry I don't speak Hungarian but I do have an online translation website that can be useful. I am sorry your Greek tortoise is not waking up. 

Does winter dream mean hibernation?

Köszönöm kérdését. Sajnálom, hogy nem beszélek magyarul, de van egy online fordító weboldalam, ami hasznos lehet.

Sajnálom, hogy a teknősöd nem ébred fel.

A téli álom hibernálást jelent?

Expert:  CarynP625 replied 4 days ago.

Are there signs that your tortoise is still alive?

How to know if your tortoise has died is sometimes difficult. These are the signs to look for:

-Will not be responsive if you put it on its back or side.

-Will have no visible signs of breathing no chest movement (or movement of front limbs and shoulders or under the neck/gular respiration) and no air flow from nose or mouth when you hold a small piece of tissue in front of it

-Will lack of any movement at all. It will not have any muscle tone, the limbs will be limp and unresponsive if you pick up the tortoise. A brumating tortoise will still have muscle tone and the limbs will be held against the body, they will not dangle and be limp.

-The pupils (the dark center portion of the eye that light passes through), will be dilated or large and not responsive to bright light when shined in the eye.

-Will not blink when you touch its eyelids.

-Jaw will be limp and without tone. You can easily open the mouth without resistance and there will be no bite pressure when something is placed into the mouth.

-After a period of time, they may become stiff and color may change on the down side as blood pools on the down side of a deceased animal.

-There may be fluids coming out of the nose, mouth or vent, but not always.

-Sometimes the eyes will roll back and they may become sunken.

Expert:  CarynP625 replied 4 days ago.

If you are not sure if he is alive, I would start first with a warm bath.

You can give your tortoise a soak in a shallow dish of warm water (80-85F, 26.5-30C) for 15-30 minutes once or twice a day. Water depth should be to the shoulder but not deep enough for the head to submerge. If they are lethargic, monitor them while in the bath to make sure their head does not submerge. Dry them off after the bath to prevent cooling from evaporation.

Ha nem biztos benne, hogy még életben van, először egy meleg fürdővel kezdeném.

A teknőst egy sekély, meleg vízben (80-85F, 26,5-30C) naponta egyszer vagy kétszer 15-30 percig áztathatja.

A vízmélységnek a vállig kell lennie, de nem elég mélynek ahhoz, hogy a fej elmerüljön.

Ha letargikusak, figyelje őket a fürdőben, hogy megbizonyosodjon arról, hogy a fejük nem merül el.Szárítsa meg őket a fürdő után, hogy megakadályozza a hűtés elpárolgását.

Expert:  CarynP625 replied 4 days ago.

However if there is still no response, then a visit to a local veterinarian, preferably one with reptile experience would be recommended.

Ha azonban továbbra sem mutatkoznak életjelek, javasoljuk, hogy keressen fel egy helyi állatorvost, lehetőleg olyant, aki jártas hüllőknél.

Expert:  CarynP625 replied 4 days ago.

It’s especially important if your pet is under the weather to make sure that their enclosure is clean, food and water are fresh and prepared hygienically and that the temperature is appropriate and that your UV-B bulb is in proper working condition. Here are some additional recommendations of how you can support your tortoise while they are under the weather or are awaiting their veterinary appointment:

-Healing and normal metabolism are linked to proper environmental temperature.

Greek Tortoise

Temperature: Require temperature gradient of 75-85F (23.9-29.4C) to a hot basking spot, 95-100F (35-37.8C) though they can take slightly warmer temperatures in the summer if provided sufficient shady spots or a cooler zone to retire to. Nighttime temperature of at least 70F (21.1C). Tortoises housed outdoors will need a raised, heated shelter if night time temperatures drop below 65F.

-Keep them warm. If they’re not moving around much on their own, place them in an area of the tank that near the upper end of their warm zone, but not on top of a hot rock or under the hottest basking area as they can overheat or get burned.

-Offer food, even if not eating. If your tortoise is having difficulty reaching or getting to their food, put the food dish next to them or you can also hand or tong feed them. Place a favorite food item gently against their lips and if they are hungry, they will bite at it. If not, don’t force it.

It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to force feed an uncooperative tortoise. They are likely not eating because they are not feeling well. Finding and resolving the underlying cause (environmental or medical) should hopefully help restore their appetite.

-To prevent or treat dehydration, you can give your tortoise a soak in a shallow dish of warm water for 15-30 minutes once or twice a day. Water depth should be to the shoulder but not deep enough for the head to submerge. If they are lethargic, monitor them while in the bath to make sure their head does not submerge. Dry them off after the bath to prevent cooling from evaporation.

-It's important to make sure their environment is clean as build up mold or bacteria in bedding material or excess dust can predispose or lead to respiratory infections. I recommend changing out the bedding completely at least weekly while your animal is ill (otherwise every 2-4 weeks is fine). Using a bedding that is not volatile or irritating (avoid cedar or pine), or overly dusty are recommended, such as coconut coir, organic topsoil, orchid bark, cypress mulch, and peat or sphagnum moss or even a mixture of these (for example, I like organic vermiculite free topsoil mixed with coconut coir and then topped with a layer of cypress mulch to help keep in moisture).

-It is also a good idea to re-evaluate your current husbandry practices as some common disorders, such as metabolic bone disease, are unintentionally caused by deficiencies or imbalances in diet, UVB lighting and calcium/vitamin supplementation.

I should be notified if/when you respond with additional information so we can connect about your Greek tortoise but, in the meantime, I hope this information is helpful and I wish you both the best. Thanks again for posting your question to JustAnswer.com. Sincerely, ***** *****

Ha több információval válaszol, többet beszélhetünk a görög teknőséről, de addig is remélem, hogy ez az információ hasznos lesz, és mindkettőtöknek a legjobbakat kívánom.

Még egyszer köszönöm, hogy feltette kérdését a JustAnswer.com.

Üdvözlettel: Dr. Caryn