Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog isn’t eating or drinking and has been given pain

My dog isn’t eating or drinking and has been given pain relief and been on a drip today. He is showing no #igns of rallying.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Lethargic and totally not interested. Normally a fun mischievous loving lit5le thing.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Banksy and he’s 16 months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Banksy?
Customer: He was fine until about midday yesterday afte4 his walk. Sincethen he’s gone steadily downhill in spite of visits to the vet.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Banksy.

Did the vet run any tests such as a blood test or scan?

Did they discuss what the possible cause of his signs are?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The vet ran blood tests. Liver and kidney function ok, but indications of dehydration - understandable as he’s not eaten or drunk anything now for ove4 24 hours. They had him on a drip to hydrate him. He has had medication to prevent nausea and pain relief- he’s no better though tonight.

Did the perform any imaging of his abdomen to check for an obstruction (e.g. something he has eaten but should not have) or pancreatitis?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No imaging and no test for pancreatitis but Banksy hasn’t been sick up until yesterday.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Are you still there?

Thank you, ok.

A sudden downhill turn like this in a young dog is often linked to a gut obstruction, so I'd be asking for this to be ruled in or out with an abdominal x-ray and or scan.

At the same time, we can check for a range of other issues that would not always show up on a blood test, such as an inflamed pancreas, organ enlargement etc.

Once we know what we are dealing with, we can ensure the treatment plan is the right one. This is especially important as Banksy is not improving with medicine and fluids,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How do youcheck for these things - CT scan?

An ultrasound scan is usually best.

Most vets will have access to this, while a CT is much more specialised (and costly to use).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We had a cat who cost us thousands of pounds in vet bills but still died within weeks. And he died after suffering so much treatment.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I hate seeing my little dog in such distress. What should we do next?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Will the vet suggest an ultrasound do you think? What could the long term prognosis?

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

As I say, the next step would be some imaging. The vet should suggest this, yes. You can request it too.

Unfortunately a blood test can only go so far and cannot detect a range of conditions.

Given his age, the next step is to rule out a gut obstruction, which should be easily done.

Prognosis depends entirely on what is going on. Most young dogs with acute vomiting go on to make a full recovery as long as we can make a diagnosis and treat them promptly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He’s not vomiting.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He’s not doing anything - eating, drinking, pooing, playing, nothing. No interest in life.

Apologies, when I saw he had had medicine to prevent nausea I had assumed he was vomiting.

His apathy could be indicative of toxicity, tick borne disease, meningitis, an embolism in the brain etc.

As I say, frustratingly, a blood test only detects a certain amount of conditions. If a blood test does not provide a diagnosis, we need to look further.

Usually the next step would be imaging in a case like this.

I'd also consider a blood film exam (whereby we look at the blood cells under the microscope for signs of infection or tick borne disease) or CSF tap (analysing the fluid of the central nervous system).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry, just had a phone call. Thank you. The thing is how much do you put an animal through before it’s too much for them?

At his age, I would unquestionably pursue further treatment and tests here.

While very poorly right now, he has not been unwell for long and has not had many tests run.

There are a wide range of things that could be going on, many of which can be easily cured.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou.we will do all we can to help our little boy get well again.

I really hope we see an improvement very soon.

This window will remain open and you can check back at any time.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He’s become quite aggressive as well since this started. It’s like someone flipped a switch. I’m so worried.

This would make me especially concerned for an issue affecting his brain, such as a meningitis or encephalitis.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They said it was probably pain causing that.

Yes, it certainly could be.

But any personality change can be caused by inflammation in the brain, so this needs to be considered if he is acting unlike his normal self.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How could they determine those things and would it be a reliable indicator

Further tests as mentioned such as imaging and a CSF tap.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Tests and scan today as you suggested. Can I still talk totou

(Question responded in other window)