Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our 11 1/2 year old Golden Retriever has suddenly gone down

Our 11 1/2 year old Golden Retriever has suddenly gone down and we do not know why. He has eaten his tea and had a drink but has difficulty moving around, We have walked him slowly around our small garden and he has urinated. Could you advise on the best course of action going forward. He is limping heavily on his front foot but do not know what the cause is
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. How much of the tea did the Golden Retriever eat? Do you know his weight?
Customer: He ate all of his tea and his weight is about 40 kg
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: He ate his tea about 5.30 there has been no vomitting or runs
JA: What's the Golden Retriever's name?
Customer: Ollie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ollie?
Customer: Cruciate ligament operation January 2021
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How much longer? you keep saying 8 minutes
Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Ollie.

Has he been getting stiff and slow in recent weeks?

Is he licking at his paw or joints of the forelimb?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No to both

Would he allow you to check his front limb all over for e.g. an ingrown claw, grazed pad, swollen joint or area of tenderness?

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Linda, thank you for your reply but after looking at your question I realised this was not going to be beneficial and cancelled membership of 'just answer' and so did not want to waste your time. I appreciate your kind response but this morning took Ollie to see his usual vet and a diagnosis was made and treatment given.
I will not contact this service again.

Thanks for keeping me updated.

As this question has been paid for, I'll provide a reply and you're welcome to respond.

Mobility issues at this age in a Golden Retriever are often linked to arthritis, which can flare up after excess exercise or with weather changes. We'd also consider a muscle strain, claw injury or similar.

Hopefully the vet was able to make a diagnosis and perhaps prescribe some anti inflammatories and pain relief.

If rest was advised, avoid steps or jumps and stick to short lead walks for toileting purposes only.

At this age, we'd recommend keeping him lean and it is sensible to start on some joint supplements which can prevent arthritis progression to some degree.

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Wishing Ollie all the best.