Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat was attacked my a neighborhood cat earlier yesterday,

My cat was attacked my a neighborhood cat earlier yesterday, she has a gaping hole on her thigh
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation?
Customer: My cat is 16 year old female, very frail as it is and she is finding it difficult to move following the attack
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: No medication but sometimes leaves the house to walk in the back garden
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Hurairah, 16 Is there any chance of getting antibiotics to help with the situation?
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Hurairah?
Customer: No
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Hurairah.Is she alert, eating and able to breathe as normal?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She is alert and breathing but is unable to eat
When did she last eat?Are her gums pink and wet?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
At 11am on Friday, her gums are normal, pink and wet
Thank you.Would a photo of her lesion be possible?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Absolutely
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (72672VG)
I'm just downloading the photo now.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (6Q2TG62)
Unfortunately with the fur and dried blood or is hard to assess the lesion. However, the wound does look deep and I'm concerned the top layer of her skin has been bitten off and her muscle is exposed.As she's not eating, she's likely in some pain and may also be brewing an infection.She needs antibiotics and pain relief and may also require a fluid drip and assisted feeding.The lesion may be flushed, closed and a drain placed.The sooner she can be seen the better. In the meantime, protect the lesion from licking with a buster collar and bathe it gently in salt water if tolerated.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help, I'm struggling with making an appointment with our Vet can you recommend any services to get the prescription?
No, unfortunately prescription medicine is only available after a cat has been assessed in person.Also, as she's isn't eating, she may need to be hospitalised on a drip to prevent dehydration and low blood sugar.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay, thank you
Not at all and wishing her a speedy recovery.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you :)