RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My rabbit has what looks like blood in the urine, About a

My rabbit has what looks like blood in the urine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice there was blood in the rabbit's urine? Has there been an unusual smell too?
Customer: About a week but no smell
JA: Does the rabbit seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No she is also drinking and eating normally
JA: And what's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: She is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I dont think so

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your rabbit

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent here. As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and I apologize if there has been a delay. I will get back to you as soon as I can, there can be a delay (especially with time difference) however I will respond to you. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

Is your rabbit neutered?

Does the blood look like it is mixed through the urine or is it separate clots of blood?

does she seem uncomfortable when urinating - like straining or vocalising?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not neutered
Looks mixed but saw a little clot today
Dont think she straining but no vocalising

Is she well in herself? Does she seem lethargic? Is she eating ok?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No
Yes and drinking normal

so there are a few different things which could be going on. Blood in the urine can be caused by cystitis, inflammation of the bladder caused by either bacterial infection or crystals in the urine. Rabbits can also develop uroliths (bladder stones). Unfortunately, upto 80% of female rabbits who are not neutered can develop tumours in the uterus, which is why we recommend neutering. if they develop these, they can pass large blood clots from the tumour.

Your rabbit will need examined so that we can find out what is going on. I would advise booking an appointment with your vet as soon as possible. Rabbits are very good at hiding signs of illness.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your help i will call them on Monday
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is there anything we can do for her before Monday

I would consider going to an emergency vet over the weekend.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Unfortunately I am a single parent and she is not insured so I cannot afford an emergency vet im sorry that sounds really bad

OK no problem. I would continue to monitor her carefully. If she does stop eating at all please syringe feed her.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Take Care!

Dr Coles