RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Problems, Hamster, Blood, big poop, Syrian hamster 1 1/2

Problems
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Hamster
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the hamster?
Customer: Blood, big poop
JA: What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Syrian hamster 1 1/2 year
JA: What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Chibi
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We saw it today

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your hamster.

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent here. As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and I apologize if there has been a delay. I will get back to you as soon as I can, there can be a delay (especially with time difference) however I will respond to you. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

Is your hamster eating ok? What is going on with his faeces?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
she is eating ok. We found a look like slightly wet and reddish poop, we thought that she had some blood in her poop but when we check it thoroughly, the poop was actually brownish not reddish like blood.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Right now she's sleeping

OK thats good. So you don't think there are any problems now? Has she been passing normal faeces since?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We noticed today. So it's a problem that started today. We just went there to her cage again and she's eating.

OK thats good. Usually blood will appear quite obviously in the faeces, like streaks of fresh red blood.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
what's wrong with her? Hamsters don't have the period like women and she never pooped such big poops like this ones

I thought you said the poo was not reddish but brown?

Larger more wet faeces can be diarrhoea, in hamsters they can get an upset gastrointestinal tract as a result of a few different things - such as bacterial infection, change in diet, too much intake of sugary treats, etc.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the colour of her poop was brown but the size of the poop is bigger than usual and she has blood around her butt. And she didn't have any sugary treats.

Do you think the blood may be coming from her vagina rather than bottom?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We're not sure since she cleaned it up. Now we don't see any blood trace on that area.

OK, there are a few things which could be going on. I would be more suspicious of blood coming from the vagina/uterus, or bladder. It is possible it could be from the rectum too. Hamsters are prone to a problem where they get infection in the uterus (pyometra) which can cause a bloody discharge. They can also get cystitis. I would recommend having her examined by your vet as soon as possible so we can determine where the blood has come from.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there any medication for her issue?

Yes there is, antibiotics and anti inflammatories can be given. These need to be prescribed by a vet however who has examined her, and are not something you can get over the counter.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How much it costs to have her checked by a vet?

It depends on your location in the UK - vet consults can range from £30-70 for a first opinion consult.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Alright. Thank you for your time. Have a good one.

No problem!

Fingers crossed she is ok.

Take care!