Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has started to cough and at tge end of the couching

Customer Question

my dog has started to cough and at tge end of the couching wreching he has had antibiotics had xrays of his head throat and chest
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the dog had this cough? Is he breathing okay?
Customer: about two months sometimes it is ok some days it is constant when he walks he sounds heavy breathing it does not stop hom running
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: 11 in Oct he was diagnosed with hayfever
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he seems himself all the time he seems happy but we have just gone to walk him and he started coughing and wreching could it be his hayfever? He has been seen by our vets but i get the opinion they just want to do everything without knowing what it is I dont want to keep putting him under Ga
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for him.

Hay fever usually starts before a dog is 4 or 5. If this is a new cough, we can be fairly confident it is not hay fever.

What breed is he?

What did the x-rays show?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Siberian Husky x-rays were all clear

Is he currently on any medicine?

Has he had an airway exam for laryngeal paralysis?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m walking my other dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No medication he was on antibiotics and loxicom they finished our vets do not seem to be too concerned which worries me
Customer: replied 15 days ago.

I am just typing, yes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What is laryngeal paralysis

I do echo your concern as a cough like this that persists is not normal and confirms there is something going on.

A chest x-ray will not pick up on every condition that causes coughing and a clear x-ray doesn't tell us all is well, it just rules out several conditions.

We would still need to consider e.g. laryngeal paralysis, lungworm, heart disease etc.

At this stage I'd be considering further investigations such as an airway exam and heart scan.

Laryngeal paralysis affects a dog's voice box, whereby the cartilage collapses. Larger breeds are more commonly affected.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He barks, growls, eats drinks all ok
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They listened to his heart sounds fine x-ray they said showed normal heart size or something what causes lungworm

That is good but a cough that lasts over 2 weeks is not normal and tells us there is something going on.

An x-ray is not a great way of assessing heart function and many potential issues can be missed. A heart scan is more sensitive.

Lungworm is caused when a dog eats slugs, snails or grass.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He had blood tests a couple of months ago they came back all ok

A general blood test would not show up any of the conditions discussed above I'm afraid.

I do hope that this has been useful and please let me know if there is anything else.

Take care,

Linda.