Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My snake has cracked, scales at the end of his tale, we

Customer Question

my snake has cracked, brown scales at the end of his tale
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the snake's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: we noticed it yesterday, it’s quite brown and cracked right near the end of his tale
JA: What type of food does he normally eat?
Customer: rats
JA: And what's the snake's name and age?
Customer: apollo, he’ll be one year old in 2 weeks, he’s a ball python
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Apollo?
Customer: no, he’s perfectly healthy ordinarily
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
we have done some research and aren’t sure if it is scale rot or burn
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.

Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?

The concern is the in the skin and surface there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

1. Miconahex Spray is one example.

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.

Until able to acquire the above item. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection. Topical lidocaine can assist with pain if needed also.

When applying close to the eyes care should be taken to prevent getting in the eye. Often with liquids a small syringe or dropper can be used to apply carefully to affected areas and to assist in keeping out of the eyes.

Often then soaking the skin in a shallow pan or tub of water mixed then Chlorhexidine at 1 to 4 ratio with water can help to clean and get in between the cracks on the scales too. Ten minutes of soaking contact time can be most beneficial and a small pan can be filled very shallow to allow a soak. This can be done daily until better in conjunction with the topical applications. If painful areas do appear lidocaine can be applied to these areas. It is over the counter and can be in a cream or spray form.

The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.

We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Apollo today. I wish Apollo a speedy recovery and have a wonderful day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.