Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I've got a female minilopbunny and she is on heat. Last week

Customer Question

Hi, I've got a female minilopbunny and she is on heat. Last week I've noticed she was losing some blood from her private part. Been to the vet who checked her and said she was fine. He gave me some antibiotics which I gave to my rabbit twice a day for a week but
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the rabbit bleeding?
Customer: I can still see some blood around It's not a lot but I'm concerned because I know that female rabbit don't get period
JA: What's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Luna... She's over 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She eats fine, drinks fine... Very active so no change in her behavior
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She behaves just as normal, she's very happy
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Luna.Did the vet run any tests such as an abdominal scan or a swab of her discharge?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, he only felt her abdomen and took her temperature
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He said that the rabbit was healthy but he prescribed me an antibiotic for her to be taken twice a day for 7 days. She's not bleeding a lot and is not constant but sometimes I found spots of blood around
Understood, sure.This wouldn't be unusual for a first check up and we'd have hoped the antibiotics would have stopped thr signs.However, as the bleeding has continued, it's important we look further into things.There are lots of things that could be going on including vaginitis, a resistant bacterial infection, bladder stones or uterine cancer.The next step would be a re check and possibly some tests as mentioned above.It may be as simple as prescribing different antibiotics.
Understood. Any bleeding is unusual and does need to be looked into.It sounds like things are improving and she's otherwise well so hopefully it's a simple solution.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'll take her to the clinic tomorrow and ask for a scan
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yeah, she's very active, runs around, eats fine... Drinks fine
Ok, good.Fingers crossed we get some answers soon, I know it must be worrying.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help

Not a problem at take care.