Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I am scared my dogs got poisended from cyanobacteria. We

Customer Question

Hello I am scared my dogs got poisended from cyanobacteria. We went yesterday for a walk and they drunk from a pond after we walked there for an hour we saw a sign that said there were cyanobacteria in the water. My partner put it down as nothing but they both got diarrhea and I'm really worried
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much of the poison did the dog drink? Any vomiting yet?
Customer: I don't now how much water exactly But no vomiting
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Exposure happened on Tuesday afternoon. They had in they night from Tuesday to Wednesday and this evening diarrhea
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 21 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for your dogs.As the water is known to contain cyanobacteria and the dogs were seen to drink from it, that is a concern.It is a good sign that the exposure happened so long ago and the only current sign is diarrhoea.Typically, cyanobacteria poisoning causes severe signs within hours.Diarrhoea can have many causes including a bacterial or viral infection, potentially caused by drinking the water. We'd also consider heat, stress, parasites, a recent diet change etc.If the only sign is diarrhoea I'd offer a bland diet of chicken and rice alongside water as well as a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin.I'd also ensure they're up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.Keep a close eye for any additions signs.Given the timeline, we're likely not dealing with cyanobacteria here, especially as the dogs are otherwise well.
Hi there, how are your dogs doing this morning?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you. They had diarrhoea again during the night but apart from this they seem fine. Would it still help to give them now activated charcoal?
It is most useful the first 24 hours after any toxin ingestion so likely wouldn't help now.Instead, I'd focus on a bland diet and plenty of fluids.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 20 days ago.

Hi there, how are things?

If your dogs remain otherwise well, at this point we can be confident it was not cyanobacteria that has caused their loose stool.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 19 days ago.
I hope all is well with your dogs.

If there is anything else, please do let me know.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No they are not better they still have very bad diarrhoea
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The park authorities confirmed that there is at the moment a toxic algae bloom of the genus Dolichospermum in the water. So I am really not sure if this is just a bug.

I agree it is very possible that drinking the water has caused the diarrhoea.

We would hope symptoms remain mild.

However, a vet check is important if they have not already been.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
They haven't been so far. Since I cannot afford it at the moment. But I will try to go
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
They only have diarrhoea nothing else but it doesn't seem to get much better

If at all possible, it is best they are seen so we can assess their hydration, palpate their intestines and provide medicine such as antibiotics.