Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My donkeys are badly affected by blanford flies - they

Customer Question

My donkeys are badly affected by blanford flies - they attack their feet by the thousands - I have spent a fortune on different fly repellents - none of them work - please can you advise on what I can do to help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the donkey's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: every year in summer the flies attack as close to their veins to draw blood, as the female sucks the blood before laying her eggs.
JA: When was the donkey last seen by a vet?
Customer: The vet recommended a spay that is used on cattle, which I can't get hold of as I am not a registered farmer.
JA: And what's the donkey's name and age?
Customer: I have two Honey who is in her twenties and Dolly (I didn't name them) who is about 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am happy to wait for a correct answer thank you - it has been a problem for many years getting worse! Thank you
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.

If you ha enjoy already tried it, I would suggest Deosect spray. This is licenced for use in horses, so technically use in a donkey if off licence but it should still be safe and effective.

See https://www.viovet.co.uk/Deosect-Spray/c9041/?pk_campaign=AdWords-548&pk_kwd=deosect%20fly%20spray%20for%20horses&oa_matchtype=e&oa_advert=3697&oa_network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzLCVBhD3ARIsAPKYTcRqn5xCna3aP2ItoC_smFLUUXw9Tv82ik1wcuDSSiKFWb9zMf6eqwgaAv9-EALw_wcB

For an example of the product.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.