Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is pregnant and she have some vaginal discharge. It

Customer Question

My cat is pregnant and she have some vaginal discharge. It started a week ago and i went to the vet and they give her antibiotics for 6 days, after 7 days the discharge come back
JA: We like to be extra careful with pregnancies, so I'll need to connect you with the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share about the situation?
Customer: its her first pregnancy
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 19 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for your cat.

Could you describe the discharge (colour, amount, smell)?

How far along in her pregnancy is she?

Hi there, could you see my reply?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I think she may be in her 3rd and half week. No smell, today is comming out small ammount , but a week ago before antibiotics it was discharge on her litter and on the carpet.

And what colour is this discharge?

Did the vet run any tests on it?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
This discharge was a week ago, but today i can see same colour on her vagina

This concerns me as this looks like pus which indicates a bacterial infection.

Did the vet analyse the fluid?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Vet done the scan and they told me that is a small infection in her utter, they made her an injection and give amoxicilin for 6 days( 2 times per day) yesterday we finished the tablets and today discharge started again
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
vet took a piece of paper and swaped her vagina to see the colour and she said that more likely that is a infection
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
they asked me if i want to do a scan and i agree it. then they took the cat to scan and when she came back she said that they done an injection and prescribed amoxicilin for 6 days

Ok, thank you.

Unfortunately this would mean the infection has not cleared.

She may need a longer course of antibiotics and/or different antibiotics.

Ideally, the vet would take a swab of the discharge and send it for culture and sensitivity so we know what bacteria are present and which antibiotics would work best.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i am very worried about her, today she is meowing unusual for her

I agree this is a real worry, especially given her pregnancy.

A uterus infection can make cats quite poorly.

The sooner she can be seen the better.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ohh so why the vet didn't do it? this is so dissapointing , and very unprofesional from their side
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i will call the vet tomorrow and ask them to see her again. Can you please advise what i need to ask for
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Can you please tell me how the vet need to react in this case as i don't really trust them now after their prescribed treatment she is still unwell

We would not normally do this as a first step as most vaginal infections would usually respond to broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxicillin.

However as the infection has not resolved, this would be the next step.

I would ask for a repeat scan to confirm the kittens are alive and there is not a pyometra (uterus infection) and for the discharge to be cultured.

Unfortunately we cannot always guarantee a treatment will work, sometimes nature has other ideas.

You have done the right thing by seeking medical care again as signs haven't resolved and your vet will work with you to make her better.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
do i need to try another vets maybe? or the procedure are the same?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Also can i help her somehow home until tomorrow when we will get to the vet?

You are always welcome to see another vet if you choose to.

However, it doesn't sound like your vet has done anything wrong here.

I would advise she is seen now, rather than waiting over night given the pus we can see.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Now is 22:13pm is there any vets working so late?

Yes, all vets offer an out of hours service.

If you need the details for your nearest open clinic, please send your postcode.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ME15 6TB

You should firstly call your own vet to see if they have an emergency service, as they will have access to all of her clinical records.

If not, you can call:

Newnham Court: ***********/p>

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you very much, i will try and call now.
Alo in case if she may have this pus, is there a big risk to her or kittens?

Yes, there is.

There is a risk of abortion and a uterus infection can potentially be fatal to mother if not treated promptly.

This window will stay open so please let me know if there is anything else.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok, thank you.

Not at all and take care.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello, i was to the vet last week, and he give me noroclav for another 6 days. Today she got the discharge again but now another colour. Can you please help me
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have booked for friday a scan. Also vet told me that if there is not any bad smell from discharge and if the cat is feeling ok,not vomiting and feeling good then is no need to worry to much. But today the discharge is little bit pink colour, what this could mean?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.
I'm concerned there is a chronic infection which will also cause inflammation and may lead to some bleeding.
I agree a scan is important and would also want the discharge cultured to determine what is growing.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i need to ask the vet to collect a sample of a discharge for analysis, what about a blood test is this needed?
Also is there any danger for her pregnancy?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Because from symptoms is only the discharge. In rest she is ok, she is eating as normal, and playing
If there is an active infection, yes, this puts the pregnancy at risk.A swab and culture is the next step as signs aren't resolving.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much ,i will keep you updated.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i will try to book a appointment asap
Ok great.