Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

He has a skin infection on his nose can I purchase

Customer Question

He has a skin infection on his nose can I purchase antibiotics without seeing a vet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He was seen by a vet and had a matted area on his nose we were not sure what was going on underneath so because of his age the vet recommended putting Jim to sleep he now has a sloughy sore visible and it smells infected
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's it
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for him.

If the vet has suggested putting him to sleep, does he currently have a poor quality of life? It would not be usual for a vet to advise euthanasia due to age and a skin lesion alone.

Could you please send a photo of his nose?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (TTQQ2LL)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He has become quite snappy so cannot be groomed anymore he is about 14 years old and has a issue with his pancreas but the vets are not concerned by that, other than that he's like a puppy and full of life which is why I can't choose the euthanasia at present if I felt he was suffering I wouldn't put him through it
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also they won't operate because of his age they wouldn't risk it

This photo is difficult to interpret, what part of the body is this? His nose?

Could you send a photo of his whole face please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
his nose it's starts just under the left eye down to his nostrils it's bleeding you cam see pink flesh and slough it also smells offense
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (T44667S)

Thank you, ***** ***** just typing my reply now.

I'm so sorry he has been dealing with this, I understand it must be a real source of stress for you.

Given the severe matting and the lesions present, antibiotics alone would not be advised.

At this point, we either need to provide immediate treatment including sedation, de-matting, wound flushing and antibiotics, or we need to consider letting him go.

If you feel he is not at the stage where euthanasia is the right choice, he needs to have this treated ASAP.

Age alone is not reason for an animal to not be able to undergo anaesthetic and most of the patients we put under GA are very elderly.  If the alternative is euthanasia, anaesthetic and treatment must be pursued. If your vet will not do this, please seek a 2nd opinion.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you I will speak to the vets again tomorrow

Not at all.

If there is anything else, please just let me know.