JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

We recently purchased a female chameleon and we are

Customer Question

we recently purchased a female chameleon and we are concerned about her
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the chameleon?
Customer: she cannot climb well and falls easily. she hasn't eaten for us yet. we have had her 7 days. we aren't sure if she is bloated.
JA: The Expert will know if the chameleon will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: digest?
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 17 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet.

please could you provide me with some more information about the set up.

what type of enclosure is she in?

what is her diet?

do you use any supplements?

what type of lighting is used in the enclosure ?

what is the basking temperature?

do you provide UV light, if so what type and when was the bulb last changed?

what substrate do you use?

do you have a lay bin for her to lay eggs?

is she bright and active?

if you could send some photos this would be great also

thanks

Dr. Jake

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 17 days ago.

hi there an you havent replied, i will provide a basic answer and close the question though we can continue speaking after.

the signs are rather concerning. chameleons should be active, holding on to branches climbing and shouldnt ever be sitting on the cage floor or falling from the branches. the abdomen being bloated her being young and a female, i would be highly suspicious of her having retained eggs - this is called pre follicular stasis and is very common in female chameleons between 6 and 12 months old. a lack of some where to lay, or a lack of calcium to be able to develop eggs correctly leads to the eggs building up inside. this puts pressure on other organs and can lead to peritonitis and unfortunately death if not addressed quickly. i would recommend making an appointment with a vet who has experience with reptiles who can provide a full assessment. they will likely advise imaging either x rays or ultrasound to check for follicles on the ovary and if so they will advise that she needs to have them removed surgically. i would get this appointment this morning if possible as chameleons can unfortunately go down hill quickly and often die suddenly if not treated. there isnt any home remedies to help at this stage as she need stabilisation, fluids, antibiotics and pain relief initially prior to possible surgical management if she has retained eggs. other conditions that can complicate this is metabolic bone disease because of having eggs, this massively increases the calcium requirement and can cause soft bones as all the calcium is going into shell development so this can lead to pathological fractures of limbs

i hope this information helps, if you require help finding a reptile vet, let me know

thanks

Dr Jake