JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

Dog panting pacing and occasionally screaming, Eddie he is 4

Customer Question

Dog panting pacing and occasionally screaming
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Eddie he is 4 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Struggling to walk upstairs but not down. Temp is about 30°c at the moment
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 19 days ago.
hi there you are through to Dr Jake im a UK based vet, im sorry to hear of your concern with your dog, eddie. 

is he eating and drinking normally?

is there any vomiting or diarrhoea?

is he bright and active?

is he showing any other symptoms to you apart from pacing and screaming?

is there any signs of pain from any body parts when you stroke him ?

is there any limping on the legs ?

thanks

Dr jake

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Eating and drinking normally, no vomiting or diarrhoea, he appears bright but not too active due to the heat. He is struggling to go up steps but not down, there doesn't appear to be any limping. Thank you
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Oh, I have just come back from being away for 5 days and night, I did have his usual sitter staying in the house
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 19 days ago.

hi im unable to accept phone calls at the moment, are you happy to continue via text chat?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Of course
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 19 days ago.

when he walks, is he able to walk in a straight line and doesnt look wobbly or drunk?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
he walks ok
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 19 days ago.

ok thats great, the symptoms are likely due to discomfort or pain, if he isnt wanting to go upstairs this could be coming from the legs or from the back. back pain often causes dogs to be unsettled, pacing, vocalisation or screaming due to spasms in the muscles. the temperature may not be helping this- you may wish to go to the pet shop to get a cool mat or use a fan to help him stay cool. i would recommend keeping him calm overnight and seeing a vet for a full examination in person tomorrow so they are able to source the location of suspected pain - they will be able to provide a full examination and provide painkiller medications

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** given him a cool (not cold) shower and he screamed on a particular spot
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 19 days ago.

no problem at all, this could be the source of pain

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 19 days ago.

if things worsen overnight then i would advise going to the emergency vets but it sounds like he sounds be ok until the morning to see your local vet before the weekend

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 18 days ago.

hi i hope eddie is doing better this morning, i will close the question though let me know if you have any further concerns

thanks

Dr Jake

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He is a little better this morning, no problems overnight, hasn't cried out. Will be taking him to his local vet. Thank you
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 18 days ago.

thats great to hear