Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Please help our dog has just eaten two sachets of Pest stop

Please help our dog has just eaten two sachets of Pest stop super rat and mouse killer pasta what can we do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: He’s a springer spaniel and he’s our daughters dog
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since eating the mouse killer?
Customer: no he has only just eaten it
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: hes Jakey about 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: only that he’s a recue dog …our daughter has had him about 5 and half years …..he’s her baby

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat them?

Hi again,

As time is of the essence, if it has been <1 hr since he ate this, consider inducing vomiting or giving activated charcoal but he is going to need to see his vet as soon as they are open. The good news is that this is an anticoagulant toxin (not a neurotoxin) so the adverse signs are not instant. They are gradual over days b/c the poison works by blocking the production of clotting factors. So, there are no signs til the body uses up the ones already in circulation. Once they are used up, we see bleeding both externally (from the mouth, anus, etc) and internally (which can affect breathing, cause weakness, pale gums, distend the belly with blood).

So, what we need to do is to keep things calm and keep your wee one rested. To induce vomiting, you can use either washing soda crystals (NOT CAUSTIC SODA!) or 3% hydrogen peroxide (1ml per pound of his weight) to induce vomiting. For the soda crystals, we usually take a handful and add a bit of water to make it into a paste that we can roll into a ball. Once we do that, we need to put it right down the throat. After use one hand keeps his mouth shut and the other hand to stroke his neck to get him to swallow. Vomiting occurs within several minutes. If he brings them all up, we can breathe a sigh of relief but I would still have him seen so that they can dispense further treatment against any residual or absorbed toxin.

Also I would note that most practices here have hours today or at least have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are closed. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on contacting their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find a local one via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends.

Kind regards *****

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We have just given him the soda crystals……and straight away both poison bags came ….we are now calling our own vets to make an appointment…….thank you so much for your quick response.

Perfect!!

This is the one time we are all very happy to have a dog vomiting!

That sounds like an ideal plan. Getting all that back up, means we can breathe a sigh of relief (no severe overdose). And once his regular vet is open, they can just start Vitamin K1 by injection and send home tablets to continue for a few weeks (+/- they could check a coagulation profile to see if there is any significant residue causing bother) to just ensure no risk of any adverse signs from this.

Good job, and so glad you were able to act fast and get those back up :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you we have an emergency appointment now with our vets

Great, so glad we could avoid any serious harm from this. :)