Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My adopted cat came to me, About 3 months ago... She was

Customer Question

My adopted cat came to me
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: About 3 months ago... She was feral, when found had an infection in her eyes
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about the infection yet?
Customer: She no longer has eye infection. They water constantly... Vets previously treatedbut advised foster that she has congenitally small eye and they are prone to water It flares up. Then clears up.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: She won't let me look for too long.. Mia. Around 3 in October (estimated by cat shelter)
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mia?
Customer: She's extremely timid. Much more confidence in me now but it's only been 3 mths. She gets more confident by the month. But still would find vets visit upsetting Ideally a home visiting vet or nurse even!
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Mia.Cats who were previously feral are often chronically infected with Cat Flu (Herpes or Calici) as they wouldn't have been vaccinated as kittens.Signs can include chronic tear staining, sneezing and eye ulcers.It is also possible for tear ducts to be scarred and narrow or for them to be small since birth. We would consider she could also have allergies.Clear tear staining that causes no other signs (such as squinting, redness or inflammation, pus) isn't always a concern and can be managed managed daily cleaning if tolerated.If you would like her seen by a vet at your home , this is something you'd need to organise directly. You can ask your local clinic to perform a home visit or can use a mobile vet service.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's really helpful thank you

Very happy to be able to help and hopefully we can get some definitive answers because I know it must be a source of worry for you.

Do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.

I hope this has been helpful and please let me know if there is anything else,

Wishing little Mia all the best,

Take care,

Linda.