DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+yrs Exp in vet care. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice
20798050

My 6-month-old kitten keeps throwing up. It looks liquidy

Customer Question

Hi, my 6-month-old kitten keeps throwing up.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: It looks liquidy and yes, there's food in it
JA: Could the kitten have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: We've recently switched his food and has thrown up 4x this past week I don't think so
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Meno
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: It seems like he throws up at a certain time It's always around 6am 5am Everytime we wake up, we see it
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

Hello there. This is Dr.Paul Brazzell. I am sorry that you are having trouble with Meno.

I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you. Please note that it may take a few minutes to see my reply to your posts. Discussing the case by phone allows me to be more efficient and accurate in assessing the problem. Now, let’s see if we can get this sorted out for you. How many times has he vomited?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's been 4x this week so far.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

Thank you so much. Is he eating and drinking? How often are you feeding him?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
3x pouches a day and I leave a little bit of dry food at night
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The food packages to tells me to feed 3-4 times a day in 2 meals, however I've spilt it up into smaller meals
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I leave a minimum 6 hour gap between meals
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

That is excellent! Is he happy and alert? Wants to eat and drink?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
he does seem happy, however recently I've noticed other than the vomit he does lay down a lot and sometimes breathes like a dog
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I was told it was due to him being warm, is there anything to worry about? We're currently going through a heatwave in London.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

Hmmm, If it was due to the heat he would be vomiting throughout the day.

Does he have any other medical problems? Is he taking any medications?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, he's not on medication. Should I take him to the vet since he's vomited four times this week? And the vomit is brown
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Or is it due to new food I'm giving him? Maybe he doesn't like it? However, he doesn't throw up during Lunch and Dinner
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It always happens early morning
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for that information. Please give me a few minutes to type my recommendations.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Alright, no problem
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

Okay, I am back. I will never say no to a physical examination. I think that would be a good thing to do next week. I would also suggest you consider changing his diet. I like Royal Canin canned and dry for cats. In the interim, I would like you to give Pepcid AC at 1/2 of a 10mg tablet twice daily. If you can find the Royal Canin food tomorrow, you can also start that.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Okay, thank you
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

You are so very welcome- Please keep me apprised.

Please feel to reach out to me if you have any more questions regarding this problem or any future concerns.

I am here to help!

Paul

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also, is it a serious issue? The latest i'll be able to take him to the vet is next week Friday
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

Oh, no, next Friday is just fine.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Alright, thanks. I'll make sure to keep you updated. I appreciate the help.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

I am here to help!

Paul

Expert:  DocPaul replied 18 days ago.

Good morning.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. If you have any follow-up questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Expert:  DocPaul replied 17 days ago.

Thank you so much for using Just Answer.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page if you choose to rate our interaction, or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****

Just Answer is a full-service experience. We have Experts in legal, medical, automotive, home repair, and even homework. Please feel free to reach out to our experts with your family’s questions.