Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My old dog as got bad diarrhoea and it is dark in colour, It

Customer Question

Hi my old dog as got bad diarrhoea and it is dark in colour
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did the diarrhea start? Could the dog have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: It started last night when I tuck him for a tuck him for a walk and it was a light brown but niot long a go it looked like dark black colour
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: My dog age is about 10 years old and his name is Basel
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Basel?
Customer: Yes he keeps coughing
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 18 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I am sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Basel.

Are his gums pink and wet?

Is he currently on any medicine?

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.

Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Black stool can be a sign of bleeding high up in the gastrointestinal tract; in the stomach or small intestine.

This can occur due to e.g. an infection, ulcer, kidney disease, a blood clotting disorder or toxicity.

As he is also coughing, I'd want to rule out e.g. lungworm or another blood clotting issue.

If he has pale gums, a bloated tummy or is breathing fast, these would be red flags.

A vet visit is important so we can check him over and look into this further.

He may need some tests such as a blood test, stool analysis and chest x-ray in order for us to get to the bottom of this.

This window stays open so please feel free to keep me in the loop and to as any further questions you may have.

Wishing Basel all the best.