Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We think she’s just has a seizure, Dog, Around a minute we

We think she’s just has a seizure
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: ***** ***** Dog
JA: I know how frightening seizures can be. Were you able to get a sense of how long the episode lasted?
Customer: Around a minute we think
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She was very disoriented and doesn’t really know what’s going on
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She’s sat shaking and very disoriented
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Please reply we’re very worried
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern and worry.What age is she?Has she been well until now?After a seizure a dog can be confused, lethargic and out of sorts for up to 12 hours (this is called the post ictal phase).
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Linda she is getting on and is around the 12/13 mark she’s got kidney disease which has been moved down to a borderline level with the help of medication she’s been off her food recently and very lethargic but recently she has been eating and has seemed more energetic than normal so this has come as quite a surprise we are all worried and don’t really know what our next steps should be
Thank you for this information.What medicine is she on?Is there any chance she's eaten something toxic such as human medicine, a house plant, raisins or a cleaning product?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She is benefortin and semintra and ipakitine and it is very unlikely she has taken anything toxic
Thank you, ok.During the episode, could she respond to her name?
Did she paddle her limbs, pass urine or vocalise?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No she would not respond to her name she passed urine and paddles her limbs it started off as a cough before she began to vocalise and somewhat howl throughout the Episode
ok, this does sound like a tonic clonic seizure.
The vocalisation can be very worrying to witness but we don't believe dogs are in pain, it is an involuntary vocalisation.At this point, the first step is to run a basic blood panel (unless done very recently) to assess things lime sugar and salt levels as well as current kidney and liver function.We'd also want to perform a neurological exam.At her age, a seizure can be a sign if a brain lesion (such as a tumour or infection), but can have many other causes.We wouldn't usually start anti seizure medicine after one episode but your vet can issue rectal diazepam to give at home were it to happen again.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much for this you have been very helpful we shall take her to her vet first thing Monday morning thanks again and best wishes
No problem at all.I'm sorry this has happened and hopefully we get some answers soon.If there's anything else, please let me know.