Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our dog is vomiting, foamy and has food in it, not really

Customer Question

Our dog is vomiting
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: foamy and has food in it
JA: Could the dog have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: not really normal kibble with a bit of cooked chicken and cooked seeet potato. No skin
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Truffle and almost 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Truffle?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 18 days ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I’m happy to help with your question today. But please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions first. Thank you!

Before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Has Truffle normally been in good health up to this point?

2. Is there any significant history of any ongoing disease conditions of any kind?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
good health
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi. Are u still there?

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

I am sorry to hear about Truffle's problem, I know that you must be very concerned. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly for you.

But please understand that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Truffle over without delay. That said vomiting in the dog is actually quite common, it can occur when a dog when has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or perhaps has had some unaccustomed rich human foodstuff or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. But of course, much more serious causes can occur.

I will give you a home remedy treatment plan, which could help with uncomplicated minor cases, indeed this could well resolve the issue. In more serious situations it could help settle things down until you can get Truffle to your vet.

Treatment Plan.

1. Pepcid which is an over-the-counter " human " drug can be useful to treat dogs suffering from gastroenteritis. Here is a link to a web page that has all the information you might need including dose rates and contraindications:
https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs/

2. In simple cases, controlling the dog's diet alone can often resolve things. The basis of this is to give Truffle's intestinal tract a complete rest and then slowly bring it back to function.

A. Starve Truffle for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water. If he is not drinking then you may want to give small amounts of water on the hour with a dropper or syringe.

B. The next day, feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled eggs, etc. with a little rice.

C. If Truffle picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days

3. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into Truffle's intestinal tract and could help restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Alternatively consider a probiotic such as Forti Flora which can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

But I have to really stress this last part. Do not take risks, if things do not quickly resolve or if Truffle deteriorates in any significant way then you should have a local vet check her over as soon as possible.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Truffle's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr. Scott
Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

No problem, I am very glad to be advising you.

But please let me know how Truffle gets on.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer, I hope you are happy with our service. But please let me know if you still need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions related to your current issue - I am always happy to help.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott