Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I found blood on my dwarf hamsters chew i’m not sure what to

I found blood on my dwarf hamsters chew i’m not sure what to do. He isn’t very active but he’s always been like that. He seems fine but i’m worried.
Hello and thank you for your query.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for your hamster.Blood from the mouth can have several causes including overgrown teeth, a laceration on the tongue, an infection etc.Make sure your hamster is active and eating and passing poo as normal.A vet check is best as soon as you can, to examine the mouth. We want to determine what's going on and what treatment may be needed e.g. dental filing and/or medicine.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have also just found blood in one of his hides.
Is it a similar amount to what is in the photo?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (7SL6SMT)
ok, a small amount.And does he seem distressed or off his food?Is he making strange mouth movements or pawing at his mouth?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He seems to be eating perfectly fine & acting as he usually does.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
he has eaten slightly less
Ok, thank you.So continue to monitor him to ensure there is no more bleeding and his appetite doesn't dip further.We can syringe a little pureed food if needed.If he isn't 100% in the morning or there's more blood, it is important he's seen in person as discussed.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Okay perfect, do u have any idea of how much the vet bills could cost if he doesn’t seem okay?
Costs will vary from clinic to clinic.A typical consult will be between £20-35.If all he needs is a check, you won't pay more.Medicine could cost about £12-30 depending on what is needed.A dental treatment can be costly if anaesthetic is needed (£100 or so).
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Okay thankyou so much!
Not at all and wishing you both a peaceful night!