Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is constantly meowing at night, he’s new to the

My cat is constantly meowing at night, he’s new to the family but he’s adjusted pretty well and he’s 1 years old, he’s not neutered yet. I feel something may be wrong with him
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Aside from this meowing, have you noticed other behavioral changes in the cat? Does he appear to be in pain?
Customer: it seems like he is? The meowing is like yowling sometimes.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Oreo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Oreo?
Customer: he hasn’t been to a vet before
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Oreo.If he hadn't been neutered, this will likely be our answer.It is mating season for cats so he will he calling to females and answering their calls.If he has no physical signs of being unwell (like food refusal, frequent urination or itchy skin), this would be the top suspicion.If possible, neutering should be considered, and I suspect this will help.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He does have some itchy skin and it’s not fleas but other than that I believe he’s okay with food
If the itching is mild and his skin isn't infected or broken, this shouldn't cause excess vocalisation.However, it is something we should look into in case of e.g. parasites or allergies.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thankfully his skin isn’t broken.. Alright, thank you for your reply. I hope you enjoy your day/night
Not at all and fingers crossed this is a quick and easy fix as I know it can't be nice having him meowing constantly.I'm UK based, so 1.42am here!
Take care and all the best to Oreo.