JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

I have an elderly dog who has developed a cough, today is

Customer Question

I have an elderly dog who has developed a cough
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the dog had this cough? Is everything okay in terms of breathing?
Customer: today is day 2 it sounds almost like she has a something in her thoat but it is a cough
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lula and she is 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lula?
Customer: no she has a few lumps but has had them for a long time now almost like fat under the skin
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 17 days ago.
hi there, you are through to Dr Jake. Im sorry to hear of your concern with your dog, Luna. 

is she currently on any medications?

is she up to date on vaccines?

has there been any vomiting or diarrhoea?

is she still wanting to eat and is bright in herself?

thanks

Dr Jake

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No she not on any medications is normally fine with eating and drinking the cough has basically kept her awake all night so she is very tired but ok in herself.
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 17 days ago.

thank you for your reply.

we see coughing in dogs commonly. this is most often due to an upper respiratory condition also called kennel cough. it can be due to multiple viruses and or bacteria.

the symptoms can be alarming to owners because they think their dog has something stuck in their throat- it causes coughing fits following by retching and bringing up phlegm. it can make dogs tired, lethargic and put them off their food also.

these infections often take 7-14 days to fully resolve. I would recommend making an appointment with your vets for a full examination, for the throat and chest to be auscultated with a stethoscope to make sure there is no other concerns with her heart or chest and for her temperature to be taken to make sure she isnt running a fever. this is usually treated with anti inflammatory medications which can take 7-14 days to fully clear. if this hasnt improved then sometimes antibiotics are added in after this. please make sure she is up to date on worming tablets are lungworm can also cause coughing symptoms

i would also recommend keeping her exercise restricted for the next week as exercise can make the cough worse, also this often very contagious so make sure she isnt in contact with any other dogs.

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 17 days ago.

no problem at all.