JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My cat hasn't eaten properly for more than a week.He went

Customer Question

My cat hasn't eaten properly for more than a week.He went missing from Wenesday and turned up this morning but still won't eat his food.He drank a bit of water but not much.I tried keeping him in but he's managed to get out the cat flap.He doesn't seem to want to be around me.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Pooch.Hes 9.He was fine and then suddenly wouldn't eat whatever I put down.I won't be able to get to a vet until tomorrow.I don't drive.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He always has his check ups so I don't know what has happened.He must have eaten something outside.
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

hi there, you are through to Dr Jake, im a UK based vet. Im sorry to hear of your concerns with your cat pooch.

is he still bright and active?

when you saw him, was he showing any signs of concern such as a limp or any cuts grazes or bruises that would suggest trauma or fighting with another cat?

is it possible he is eating food somewhere else?

do you think he has lost weight?

is there any known vomiting or diarrhoea?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No he wasn't limping &didn't look like he had been in a fight.No he's lost wait he was quite a big cat.I haven't seen any in the garden.Ive no idea where he went.He never usually goes Far.I think it's something serious.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No he's disappeared again.Do you think he's eaten something?
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

thats all good news. cats this time of year often do loose a bit of weight over the summer as they are more active, especially if he is away and out overnight. it may be that if he is classically a large cat then he is possibly getting food somewhere else- catching mice, insects etc. or even eating food from another cats bowl which is quite common !

the best thing to do would be to when he comes back, close off his cat flap and keep him inside for 24-48 hours monitor him to see if he is showing any strange or abnormal signa such as vomiting, diarrhoea, see if he will eat and drink for you. if you see anything you are concerned about then i would advise taking him to the vets.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks.But I don't think it's any of those things.I will have take to the vets first thing tomorrow.
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

no problem, i will close the question but if you have any further concerns or if he comes back during the day and you see something you are unsure about, let me know