Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My is 1 years old and been on heat once so far. Her genitals

Customer Question

My bitch is 1 years old and been on heat once so far. Her genitals have swollen (asif hanging outside of her body) im not sure what it is but it doesnt look like a period. What else could it be??
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the dog lick the skin as well?
Customer: I noticed it 2 days ago and i thought it may be her coming on heat again but today it looks like it may be infected. She doesn’t consistently lick it either (like she did when she was on heat)… and thank you for helping
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Why do you need her name?? Shes 1
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No i dont think so. What happens now??
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for her.What breed is she?
When was her last season?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is crossed. American Bulldog x Cane Corso
do you know when her last season was?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Last season was November
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Shes also struggling to use the toilet
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (ZPTZ156)
Thank you.This is really helpful.I'm just typing my reply.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'd suspect she is coming into her 2nd season and, unfortunately, has developed a vaginal hyperplasia on this occasion. I think she may also have a prolapse.Large, young dogs are most at risk of this and it causes visible swelling of the vulva. We can also see licking of the tissue and uncomfortable urination.The worry here is that dogs can sometimes struggle to pass urine to the point they become blocked. If she isn't passing normal urine streams, she needs to see a vet now and may need a catheter to empty her bladder and avoid a bladder rupture or kidney disease. If she can pass normal amount of urine and isn't distresses, she could he seen im the morning.She may need some lubricating and/or antibiotic cream. In some cases we'll need to reposition the tissue and suture it back in.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you soooo much! Ill watch her for a couple of hours snd if she doesnt pass nothing then ill take her tonight, if not tomorrow. Do you think that is the best option??
we want to ensure she doesn't go more than 6 to 8 hours without passing urine (a few drops wouldn't count, it needs to be a good stream).Fingers crossed she's feeling better very soon.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for all your help and yes i will defo keep you updated
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Caught her weeing, is this enough of a stream do you think?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry about the quality…hopefully you can see enough
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.

It is hard to say for sure, but there is certainly more than just drops, which is good.

Most dogs pass urine about 3 to 5 times a day and, for a dog of her size, we're usually looking at about 20 to 40mls of urine per kilo per day. For a 35kg dog (for example) this would mean about one litre of urine over the whole day.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. Well i’ll keep a close watch of her over the next 24 hours. Thank you!

Of course!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Latest image

It seems to have enlarged so the sooner she can be seen the better.

You can clean it with salt water and apply a lubricant such as KY jelly or vaseline.

Use a buster collar so she cannot lick it and ensure no other dogs are trying to get to it.