Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has.A BOIL LUMP ON HER leg, 3month ago doesn't bother

Customer Question

My dog has.A BOIL LUMP ON HER leg
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the dog had this lump?
Customer: 3month ago doesn't bother her it's just there
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Betty a 5 year staffy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She's really healthy fit dog just that lump how can I send u a picture
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Has a vet ever examined the lump?Does it seem to bother Betty?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Nope not bothering her can I send a picture
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (763Z25Q)
I am just downloading it now.
As the lump is underneath the fur, it is difficult to comment much on its appearance.It doesn't look like a wart or skin tag and is something I'd want to be examined in person.There are several things it could be, most of which are benign and a few which are sinister.We'd consider a fatty lump, cyst, mast cell tumour etc.As it's been present for a few months and hasn't gotten smaller, it would be sensible to sample it.This usually means a Fine Needle Aspirate whereby we pop a needle in and suck out some cells for analysis. She can be awake for this and it is very quick and easy.Results usually take less than a week.If we can confirm it is a benign lump, we'd likely just leave it and monitor it as its not bothering Betty and shouldn't affect mobility.If it is something more worrying, it would be good to remove it now, before it gets any bigger.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK thanks does it look like a cancer lump
Unfortunately this isn't something we can tell from a photo or in person exam.While we can sometimes rule out a cancer if the lump is an obvious cyst or skin tag, this isn't the case here.Cancerous lumps tend to grow quickly and be firm and well attached to the skin. They may bleed or ulcerate. However, they can also look like benign lumps. The only way to tell with a lump like this, is by analysing the cells I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK thanks
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is this a one of payment of £5
I believe customers pay a £5 fee for a one week trial. If the service isn't cancelled, a monthly fee is then charged.Please speak to customer services for more information about this, as the vet it isn't something I know much about I'm afraid.