Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

She has yellow puss oozing from neck and have missing fur

she has yellow puss oozing from neck and have missing fur and loose skin
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puss's name and age?
Customer: sorry my dog is called bailey and is 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: shes is scratching at her neck which is red and inflamed, she has been sick and is drinking a lot of water
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Bailey.When did this start?Any chance of a bite from another animal or insect sting?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
we took her home from the kennel which she stayed at for a week, apparently she has been fine for most of the time but took a turn on the last day, its possible it has come from a sting or cut. we are struggling to find a mark as she has a lot of loose skin from her neck to the top of her chest like something has burst and thats where the pus has come from
Understood, sure.Is she up to date with her mite and flea prevention?And is she prone to skin issues?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
she has slightly sensitive skin but its not really been a problem, she is up to date bar maybe a week out of her prevention
Ok, thank you.Has she been very itchy?Would a photo of the lesion be possible please?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
she isn't trying to itch the affected area at the moment, i have attached some pictures of her neck
Thank you, ***** ***** downloading these photos now.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you
I think she may well have an acute moist dermatitis or "hot spot".This is an infection that occurs most often in hot weather. It can be linked to fleas and allergies, but not always.She will need to see a vet as she'll require some prescribed medicine, usually a steroid and antibiotic cream. We would generally also clip all of the fur to improve ventilation.At home, we need to try and prevent any rubbing or scratching. Depending on where it sits on her neck, a buster collar can be used if it doesn't rub the affected skin.We should also clean the area with salt water twice daily.For most dogs, symptoms resolve just a a few days after we start treatment.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you very much we will try to make an appointment with our vet for tomorrow as they are closed today, my mum asks are we okay to giver her hayfever medication such as piriton?
Piriton can be given (4mg every 12 hours) but likely wouldn't help here as this probably isn't an allergic reaction.If she suffers from allergies in general, it may be useful as it might reduce the itch a little.From home, I'd definitely bathe the area with salt water and try to prevent her getting to it as much as possible.As overdue her parasite prevention, this can also be given now.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you so much which out of nexgard, canitroid or norbrook would be best? Also she keeps trying to rub her eyes is there anything that can help her with that?
Canitrpid is a thyroid medicine.
Norbrook is a brand name of a drug manufacturer.Nexgard prevents fleas so should be given now if due.If the eye issue is a new thing, this needs to be mentioned when you see the vet as she may also have a conjunctivitis.The buster collar should help prevent eye rubbing too and it is also a good idea to bathe them with water twice a day.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
okay I will make sure this is done and thank you for all your help
Absolutely!Anything else, just let me know.Fingers crossed this resolves shortly.