Dr Megan
Dr Megan, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110745586

She has scabs all along her spine and is not being herself

Customer Question

She has scabs all along her spine and is not being herself and keeping back end in the air
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a cat
JA: How long has the cat had this scabbing?
Customer: I noticed it around 2 weeks ago but it wasn’t bad and then I noticed it again yesterday as it had got worse
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: no she is a house cat and no medications
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: she is roughly a year and a half and she is called minnie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Minnie?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.
Hello, I am Dr Megan and I will be helping you today. I am sorry to hear that Minnie is having some skin issues.
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

I am reviewing the information.

Would it be possible to send me some photos of her skin? you can attach it directly to this chat using the paper clip sign.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Megan yes she really is not being herself
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
2 seconds
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

I have a few more questions:

1. How is her appetite?
  2. Is she grooming a lot?
  3. Do you have other pets?
  4. Doe she ever go outside?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (VSPPT3G)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (31QV777)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She’s not eating much, she is grooming a lot I have no other pets and she doesn’t go outside
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Then scabs go from the bottoms of her tail where it connects to her back right to the top of her spine
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for the photos. I suspect military dermatitis, which can be caused by a few different things. I have also listed some other causes which are not that common too.

Lots of things could cause skin lesions like this- scabs along her back, such as:

1. Miliary dermatitis

• The most common reason is an allergic reaction to a flea bite, could she have come into contact with another pet? or have you been in contact with other pets?
  • Other allergic reaction such as a food allergy (although not that common in cats), contact allergies are another possibility, but again not common in cats.

2. Skin infection

3. Parasites: mites, lice

4.  Nutritional deficiencies

5.  Infectious and immune-mediated diseases.

Has she had any changes in her diet int he last few months? A new brand?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No her food has been the same for around a year
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have been in contact with other pets yes my grandparents cats who are outdoor cats
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

I would recommend:

1. Apply a good quality anti flea treatment. Frontline or Advantage spot on (available without prescription from vet clinic or pet shop) or Advocate (if you wanted fleas, worms, mites etc but only from vet clinics). Repeat in 4 weeks.  Even if she does not go outside, she may have gotten one flea bite to cause an allergic reaction like this.

Fleas are small, black, fast moving insects, in some cats live fleas are seldom seen on cats, due to their fastidious grooming habits. Even one bite can cause an allergic reaction causing this miliary dermatitis  in some cats.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Great thank you I will do that and in the meantime to help with itching and to get rid of the scabs what would you suggest? And if it doesn’t go away should I take her to the vets?
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

If this is not improving her symptoms then I would recommend a vet visit as she may need some anti-inflammatory medication to reduce itch/allergic reaction,some cats require antibiotics if the spots/pustules are sore/red/spreading.

After you apply the spot on then you wont be able to bathe her (not that cats need a bath usually but just to warn you,as it reduces the effectiveness of the spot on).

But you can gently bathe the pustules/spots with saline (add 1 teaspoon of salt to 250ml of water and dab them clean once daily). You can apply an antiseptic wound cream to them, but cats are likely to lick this off which can make them feel sick, unless they wear a buster collar.

Usually within 2-3 days of the anti-flea spot on I would expect to notice an improvement, but it can take 1-2 weeks for spots to disappear and hair to fully grow back.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
That’s great thank you so much I really appreciate it! I’ll sort that out today
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

ok good luck with everything, this chat window stays open for a few days so feel feel to keep me updated.

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Miliary* dermatitis (not military, just seen my computer auto corrected it earlier)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Great thank you, ***** ***** get in touch in a few days!
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

No problem at all. Hope she is feeling better soon, this condition often makes them feel a bit lethargic.