Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is drooling and she never does, She never drools,

My cat is drooling and she never does
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the cat drool all the time or just sometimes? How long has this been an issue?
Customer: She never drools, it’s only been an issue today
JA: Does everything look normal with the cat's teeth?
Customer: the back teeth on both sides does look a bit yellow and she prefers to chew on her left
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: cats name is ***** ***** is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Pamuk.

Does she have bad breath?

Is she off her food?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She sometimes has bad breath. I’m not sure if she has plague. She is still eating

Would a photo of her teeth / gums be possible?

Can you see any ulcers on her tongue or foreign bodies in her mouth?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There are no ulcers on her tounge , not any that I can see
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
A
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
B
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She is a indoor cat

There is some calculus and gingivitis and Pamuk would benefit from a dental cleaning.

However, I'm not convinced this is the issue today.

Any chance Pamuk has eaten something she shouldn't have such as a house plant, cleaning product or human medicine?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There are no plants in my house. No cleaning products around
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
if I was to brush her teeth daily is the problems she has with her tooth reversible

It is possible that tooth brushing may help here, but there is quite significant calculus so a dental cleaning may be needed regardless.

Also, not every cat accepts tooth brushing (it would be great if she does).

So, ot confirm, she is not lethargic and she is eating and acting as normal?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I gave her some food and she did eat. I gave her some of her stick treats and she only bit on her left side. She does seem a bit more tired or low energy
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is there any more signs to look out for ?

Ok, thank you.

As she has no other signs and will eat, it should be ok to monitor her today.

Continue to offer warm and tempting bland food like chicken and rice and watch for any new signs such as vomiting, fast breathing, bloating or diarrhoea.

If no better in the morning, a vet check is sensible.

She may well have some tooth ache on the side with more gingivitis.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
if the main cause is her tooth. Is it normal for cats to drool with teeth problems. I am very worried
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
for it to be so suddenly

Yes. Drooling is commonly associated with sort teeth.

However, it can also be a sign of nausea or another issue with the mouth (such as an ulcer or foreign body) so we need to keep this in mind.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If she was to be poisoned by eating something would she have a foamy mouth instead of drooling ?

Drooling can be a sign of toxicity but we would usually see additional signs (like weakness, wobbly walking, pale gums dilated pupils, vomiting etc.)

However, with our pets, we always have to be aware of the possibility of a toxin.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok so the main signs I should look out for are vomiting and loss of appetite right

As we're not exactly sure why she is drooling, I think anything new or different needs to be taken into account.

Yes though, both vomiting and loss of appetite would be the most common signs to occur alongside drooling.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay Thank you so much for your help.

Of course.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and check back in at any time.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.