Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My Springer spaniel has been biting and licking his front

Hi my Springer spaniel has been biting and licking his front and back paws and made them bleed and fur is gone front leg is swallon
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the Spaniel bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: It only bleeds if he licks or bites it so not a lot where he has done this the fur has gone it started a while ago not sure exactly
JA: What's the Spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Jasper age 12
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: His skin is very flaky too
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (Q1L6731)
Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
On hear us fine
I am so sorry that Jasper is having this problem. This could be due to an allergy that has started this chewing and the more he chews, the more irritated this becomes so he will chew more causing this terrible appearance of his feet. This has become a staph infection and for now, follow these instructions:

1. Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of Jaspers weight every 12 hrs for 10 days.
  2. Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
  3. Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.

If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. Because of Jaspers age, I worry that this may be related to a thyroid problem so it is best to have your veterinarian examine him and run blood work and a Urinalysis. It will also help to put him on the antibiotics specific for the staph infection.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok lovely thank you

You are very welcome! Please let me know how Jasper is doing and if I can answer any other questions ❤️

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will thank you

❤️❤️