Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat bites her stomach quite regularly and it seems to be

My cat bites her stomach quite regularly and it seems to be getting worse. She has an injection every 6 weeks that used to help but it doesn't now. Would a blood test explain why she does this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Oscar
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He seems quite happy apart from that problem but I'm having to put his collar on more and he hates it.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Oscar.

Was the injection steroids?

Does she have any other signs such as red skin, scabs, fur loss, stiffness when walking, constipation, diarrhoea or trouble urinating?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It's a Tom actually called Oscar. It was steroids they gave him and ruled out out problems with his kidney. He,s fine with everything else.
Thank you.So he has no fur loss or scabbing?Has he ever had his urine analysed?

I'm afraid I cannot make calls so have declined your request.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

So he has no fur loss or scabbing?

Has he ever had his urine analysed?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
he did have his urine checked and it was fine.
Thank you for confirming, ok. 

When a cat exhibits behaviour like this there can be several triggers including underlying itchiness, urinary tract disease, a source of abdominal or joint pain or stress-related and behavioural issues.

If the vet is confident that they've ruled out any physical causes for Oscar's signs and his skin is calm and settled, it may well be a behavioural issue.

We can only really confirm this by ruling out all other causes (which usually means a urine analysis and comprehensive skin work up).

A blood test, as you mention, wouldn't usually be helpful in this situation.

If there is no obvious medical cause, we need to look to his routine and home life for any source of stress.

Does he share the home with other pets?Did anything change when the behaviour started e.g. a house move or new person in the home?Does he tend to be skittish or anxious in general?

I hope that this has been helpful and please let me know if there is anything else.

Take care,

Linda.