Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My is having really bad trouble breathing. He's gasping for

Customer Question

My king Charles is having really bad trouble breathing. He's gasping for air and hasn't eaten in days..He's nearly 11 years old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the King Charles also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: He's trying to do his normal routine but just can't
JA: Does the King Charles seem to be in any pain?
Customer: It's hard to say he let's out a bark now and again
JA: What's the King Charles's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Charlie?
Customer: He does snore alot and always did but he's gasping now just to get air
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow Charlie iis having trouble breathing, gasping for air, and not eating for days.

1. What color are his gums and tongue? Bubblegum pink? Blue/gray?
  2. Has he ever been diagnosed with a heart murmur?
  3. Is he coughing?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Blue/grey.no heart murmur and yes he's coughing and drullin.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Thanks. That color means that he is not able to efficiently exchange oxygen, they should be a nice bubble gum pink in color. Unfortunately Cavaliers as a breed are prone to mitral valve disease, and as time goes on their heart has to work extra hard to pump blood effectively through the body. Eventually the heart may fail due to the extra work, and that can lead to fluid accumulating in the lungs and/or abdomen, making oxygen exchange more difficult. That can lead to breathing difficulties. If he cannot exchange oxygen his appetite will be suppressed as his body prioritizes oxygen exchange over eating. Typing more....

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Other possible causes are primary lung disease, including pneumonia or a mass(es) in the lungs.

I highly recommend he be seen on an emergency basis ASAP. If this is heart failure we may be able tp turn things around with medications, but the sooner they are started the better. Unfortunately you cannot help him at home. Does that make sense? Any questions?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'll get him to a vet asap
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Great! Please let me know how he fares.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Charlie died an hour ago Doctor
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

My deepest condolences on your loss, I can understand how devastating this must be. Unfortunately when they go into heart failure things can progress very quickly. I understand that you didn't know how sick your fellow was, so this was likely a big shock for you, and I am so very sorry. Cavaliers are wonderful dogs, but they are prone to devastating heart disease which can be deadly. Please take care, thank you for letting me know.