A. Didiano, DVM
A. Didiano, DVM,
Experience:  Expert
115313062

He can’t move without yelping it has come on suddenly, a

Customer Question

He can’t move without yelping it has come on suddenly
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a lurcher
JA: How long has the Lurcher been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: not really
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the Lurcher's name and age?
Customer: mincer 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mincer?
Customer: we tried to pick him up but he started to whine
Expert:  A. Didiano, DVM replied 17 days ago.
Hello, this is Alessandro, a UK based vet. I am sorry this has happened, poor Mincer.

Did this start after a specific movement, for example jumping off the sofa? Thanks

Hello, as I didn’t get more information I will provide a general reply. Obviously, please feel free to type here any further questions you may have.

Yelping suddenly during any movement is usually typical of some sort of neurological pain. This is usually associated with spinal pain or a nerve pain.

As it happened suddenly, I would say the most likely cause would be a slipped disc, either in his back or in his neck. Other differential diagnosis are not as likely, but they can’t obviously be ruled out at the moment.

Given the potential severity of the problem, the best advice would obviously be to have Rookie checked over for a complete physical examination. If no other problems will be found, treatment with anti-inflammatories and pain killers may be attempted, otherwise further investigations (such as an MRI scan of the neck) may be advised.

Until the appointment, I would advise you to completely rest him (only walking 5-10 minutes twice daily for toilette) and avoid at all costs jumping and stairs, in order to avoid any further injuries.

I hope this makes sense. I appreciate it is a very general reply, therefore please don’t hesitate to contact me at all times if you have any further questions and I’ll be happy to go into it in more detail. Take care.