Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 13 years old male Brittany Spaniel. We found a tiny

Hi, my name is Tony. I have a 13 years old male Brittany Spaniel. We found a tiny hole (1/2cm or 1/4 inch) which was weeping on Buster's right back leg inside his knee. We took Buster to the vet and now treating him with antibiotic tablet for 2weeks, but the hole is not closing. We can see shiny metal at the bottom of the shallow hole. In April 2018 Buster's cranial cruciate ligament ruptured. He had Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy (TPLO surgery). Since then he had not have a problem on his leg. He did not develop any surgical site infection at all. But on 7th June 2022 the vet suggested that the metal plate in his leg might be rejected by his body after 4 years. The vet sugested that X-ray for further investigation and surgery to remove metal plate and screws might be needed. We do not want another operation as Buster is nearly 13 years old and unsteady on his feet anyway. He may not be able to walk after the removal of the plate. We want to treat him more conservatively as he is old. Also, pet insurance company will not cover the cost, as it is regarded as an existing condition. What can we do to treat Buster without having an operation of removing the plate? Is it possible to use antibiotics for a long term? So far 2 weeks of Synulox did not make a big difference. For example, I have had a splenectomy and I have to continue with life-long Penicillin V 250mg twice a day to prevent infections. Normally they say you cannot have antibiotics for a long term treatment. What is the option here? Buster is getting old and cannot go for a long walk but otherwise happy and healthy. The wound is not bothering him at all so far. We don't know what to do next.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Brittany Spaniel, it is a dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Brittany?
Customer: I have just spent 20 mins typing above and explained everything to you .
JA: Where does the Brittany seem to hurt?
Customer: have you read what I have put down when you asked me your first question ?
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: We are getting nowhere as I have given you every bit of information above in answer to your first question.
JA: Is the Brittany eating normally?
Customer: canyou please put someone else on the line as we are getting nowhere.
JA: Is the Brittany having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: are you a robot
JA: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. How is the Brittany behaving differently?
Customer: All you need to know i have explained after your first question
JA: What is the Brittany's name and age?
Customer: sorry I have to go to another site as i cannot comunicate with you.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no please connect me
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Tony.Unfortunately in this situation, conservative trying isn't likely to make a big difference as the important has already been pushed by the body to the surface and the body is rejecting it.At this point, the best option would be implant removal (even at his age). The implant may be broken or loose. It will be a source of pain and inflammation and is no longer supporting the joint as it used to.It can be hard for antibiotics to reach the site of infection and they often aren't very effective in cases like this. Long term antibiotics aren't likely to resolve the issue I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for the information would an x ray be the next best thing to have done ? Also if I book to have the implant removed I am sure the operation would not be done for lets say a month so what can i do in the meantime ? more antibiotics? He doesnt seem to be bothered by the situation as when we bathe with HIBISCRUB twice a day he does not flinch or anything. for a while he had yellow puss but that seems to have cleared now. He has been on metacam for joints for many years and his other leg was done 2019 he is weaker on that leg.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If you can just answer the above questions I have all the information I need.
I am just typing my reply.
If an xray hasn't been done, this would be sensible so we can check for an implant break but also so we can assess the bone and joint health in case there's more going on.We usually give antibiotics, anti inflammatories and pain relief until the procedure can be done.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
okay thanks

Not at all and hopefully we can get some resolution soon as I know this must be a real worry.

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thanks again will give you top ratings you have been great.

No problem at all! Take care and have a lovely weekend.