JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

I have a dog wich has Abandonment issues when he is left at

Customer Question

Hi I have a dog wich has Abandonment issues when he is left at home alone there is another dog with him but keeps on barking all the time I have tried tablets that I have tried tablets are called downstairs skullcap & valerian , the second ones we tried are called Nova pet health pet calming supplement.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Aside from this barking, have you noticed other behavioral changes in the dog? Does he appear to be in pain?
Customer: No he does not
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max is 8 and Border collie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Max?
Customer: I don't think so I moved address 3 months ago we have tried everything but are next door are Complaining
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.
hi there, you are through to Dr Jake, Im a UK based vet, im sorry to hear of the challenges you are having with your dog, Max. 

has this happened his whole life?

is there certain times or triggers for this to happen?

has it only started happening since you have moved?

have you tried any veterinary prescribed medications from the vets at all?

thanks

Dr jake

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have had max since young puppy rescued as puppy so this were abandment issue's come from but at my old address no neighbours ever informed me of his barking issue's when left alone . No max as ever had vetinary prescribed medication.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok what do you think I should do
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do I get the 15.12 pounds back if you can not call me
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

hi there, i am unable to take calls at this time, if it isnt accepted you will get it refunded. are you happy to continue via text chat?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok just want to know what to do do I go to my vets and get some meds for max
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

these conditions can be challenging to fully resolve especially if he has had this form a young dog, it often is ingrained into them though there are a few things you can try to help, if you have tried all the natural and over the counter remedies ( adaptil plug ins, zykene or neutracalm tablets) then they are unlikely to help. the next steps would be to get in otuch with a local dog behaviourists who can come into your home and provide a full assessment to see if they can train the separation anxiety out of Max, this can be difficult, and can take a long time and even then animals can relapse at a point in the future so if you go down the route of an animal behaviourist be prepared ot be patient to resolve the issue. this can be helped by medications from the vets, these are often human anti depressant medications though they work slightly differently in dogs and can help with anxiety and separation disorders. one of these is called trazodone , other options are xanax and fluoxetine. these can be used a long side behavioural training form a behaviourists to help facilitate quick improvement in removing the behaviour. your vets will be able to decide which medications are best suited for Max depending on his temperment and character on examination. they may only provide you with this medications when you have proved you are in contact and getting help form a behaviourist

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is ok he has no problem going to the vets
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

thats good, it would be worth booking him in. with regards ***** ***** an animal behaviourist, its a good idea to find one with a qualification like a degree or recognised certificate

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

anyone is able to call themselves and 'animal behaviourist' some may have experience with training dogs but once with qualifications will understand the science behind animal psychology and will be able to approach the situation more effectively

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have go him on video if that helps I could try and send it to you
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

you are very welcome to send a video though it sounds quite suspicious of separation anxiety which occurs when you leave the room or house, they bark constantly until you come back. as above, animal behaviour therapy will be the best route to getting to resolving the problem

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have tried can not so at the moment I am trying
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

OK no a problem if you cant

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 14 days ago.
hi i hope you have been able to source an animal behaviourist

thanks

Dr Jake