Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I was spraying the roses with spray to kill fly. I thought

Customer Question

I was spraying the roses with spray to kill green fly. I thought my cat was indoors. Transpires he came out! A couple of drops of the spray went on his ear, I wiped his ear repeatedly with a soaking cloth. Will be be okay? What else should I do?
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Hunter. He is 3 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Hunter?
Customer: He seems fine, but this only happened 15mins ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I understand your concern.

What was the active ingredient(s) in the spray, please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Benzisothiazol

Thank you.  This is quite harmful when swallowed but it appears that you removed it before he could groom and swallow it.

Since you posted, how is Hunter acting, please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I hope so. I couldn’t rinse it with running water as one ordinarily would, as cats don’t like running water! I did wipe repeatedly, and the tissue was wet. I’m worried it may have gone else where and I didn’t see. In any event, will he be okay, should I have missed a drop?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is so very precious to me and I would be distraught if I had inadvertently done him any harm.

I expect him to remain unaffected.

Fine spray mist/drops don't constitute a significant exposure.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for the reassurance. Much appreciated. Best wishes, Emily

You're quite welcome, Emily.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.