Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

UTI, cat, about two weeks. the cat had convenia injection on

UTI
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about the UTI yet? How long has this been going on with the cat?
Customer: about two weeks. the cat had convenia injection on the 9th june symptoms still persist
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: ruby 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ruby?
Customer: she has had UTIs before but these have been cleared via using the injection antibiotic, loxicom and cystophan
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Ruby.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks Michael, yes its rather upsetting to see the antibiotic not working this time
or taking longer

Both bacterial urinary tract infection and idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis are important considerations when either hematuria (blood in the urine) or stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) had arisen.

**** vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of the bladder through the abdominal wall – the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine, and perform a complete urinalysis in an attempt to clarify which urinary disorder is present. We need to consider urinary calculi (stones) and neoplasia (benign and malignant) in the urinary tract as well.

If infection is found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is usually chosen to be given for 7-10 days. The urine should be rechecked 2 days after the course of antibiotic had been completed to make sure that the urinary tract had been sterilized. If no infection is present, treatment consists of diluting the urine with supplemental fluids and feeding wet food only (a prescription wet food might be recommended by the vet) plus analgesia in the form of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

I regret that vets aren't allowed to prescribe through this venue.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thats fine, so from my understanding, the sample taken directly from the bladder is a better way to prescribe treatment / analyse infection
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
can cats become resistant to convenia injection?

Yes, that's the case and urine bacterial culture and sensitivity should be performed when an initial antibiotic hasn't been effective.  Infection can become resistant to any antibiotic.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thanks michael. My cat is eating fine (wet food) and going to toilet but seems very distracted with getting in and out of the litter tray, squatting, a bit restless but fine in other moments. You know when you've had a cat for 10 years and it seems more agitated than its normal sleepy self!

Ruby is stranguric.  As posted above, that can indicate quite a few urinary disorders.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Typically what could be the next steps once urine is examined? Different antibiotics? I appreciate this is relative to the outcome - just wondering what is most common generally
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
A broad spectrum antibiotic - does this mean something more specific to the diagnosis

Most likely, yes, but if there's no bacterial growth in the culture, X-rays or ultrasound of the urinary tract is indicated looking for both stones and cancer.  If nothing untoward can be found, idiopathic cystitis is diagnosed (see above).

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you

You're quite welcome.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.