Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is not eating at all and looks very weak, Last couple

Customer Question

Hi, my cat is not eating at all and looks very weak
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the cat's appetite? Any changes in energy?
Customer: Last couple of days, he looks like he has no energy
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Baby, 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Baby?
Customer: He is allergic to fleas
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Baby.

Regrettably, anorexia and weakness while important clinical signs of illness aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.  Please check Baby's vital signs for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 35 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 38-39.2C. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

I haven't heard back from you.  Please let me know if you still need help.

It's reasonable to assume that Baby needs the attention of his vet as soon a possible.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

You're welcome to return to our conversation with additional questions and concerns if you wish.