Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

She has diarrhea, kitten, No just vet food, Alina, she is 3

Hello she has diarrhea
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: kitten
JA: When did you notice this change in stool? Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just vet food
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Alina
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Alina?
Customer: she is 3 months old and she is my girlfriends cat
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Alina.

Although diarrhea in kittens is a common and frustrating condition there is very little published research on the specific causes and treatments in this age group. For chronic diarrhea a specific diagnosis should be made and treatment should be targeted. The inappropriate use of antibiotics to treat diarrhea which is all too common should be discouraged. They alter the commensal intestinal microflora, are likely to worsen the diarrhea, and induce antibiotic resistance.

The most common causes of diarrhea in kittens are infectious agents, primarily parasites and viruses. The bacteria Enterococcus spp. is now also known to cause diarrhea and a failure to thrive in kittens. A comprehensive fecal examination is an important first step in diagnosis. The next level of diagnostics would include PCR (DNA-based) testings and immunoassays for Giardia spp., Tritrichomonas, and Cryptosporidium. It's important to note that bacterial enteropathogens and toxins are commonly found in asymptomatic kittens as well as those with diarrhea making interpretation difficult and so fecal cultures and toxin analysis are probably best reserved for specific situations such as kittens with bloody diarrhea and evidence of sepsis. In general, for kittens with chronic diarrhea where no diagnosis has yet been made and response to therapy is poor, repeating previously negative diagnostic tests is more rewarding than intestinal biopsy.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She has these problems for two days now

It's acceptable to administer a broad-spectrum anthelminthic to kittens with diarrhea even in the face of negative fecal examinations. My preference is fenbendazole - over the counter Panacur or Safe-Guard which isn't labeled for use in cats but we prescribe it at the dog dose - administered for 7 consecutive days.  Pyrantel-containing wormers are a good choice as well.  Fenbendazole addresses all of the nematodes as well as the protozoan Giardia. Ponazuril (prescription drug) is the drug of choice when treating coccidia which doesn't always show up in a fecal ova and parasite exam.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Our messages crossed.  Please see my posts above.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I believe the cause might be her eating my older cats food would that be a possible cause for my kittens diarrhea

Possibly, but endoparasitism is more likely: roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, coccidia, or Giardia.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What action would you recommend me to take
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m just so stressed and I want her to get better soon

Please presumptively worm her with one of the products I posted above in the paragraph beginning "It's acceptable..."  Avoid the ineffective piperazine-containing wormers.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sure and also what should I do when my kitten comes on my bed and poo?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She did that last night
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
a couple of times she veed on my bed
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Urines
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Urinated

That's a completely different discussion.  My moderator asks that you open up a new conversation for it.  If you want my colleagues to defer to me, please type "for Dr. Michael Salkin, only" as you initial few words.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sure thank you for your support

You're quite welcome.  I'll watch for your next post.  I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

As long as Alina is otherwise well, I would see if worming her normalizes her bowel movements before seeking her vet's attention.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think she already is wormed

Check what she was wormed with.  It might not have been ponazuril - the drug of choice for coccidia, nor fenbendazole - the drug of choice for Giardia. Fecal ova and parasite exams are too often falsely negative and so presumptive treatment for all of these parasites is reasonable.  Feel free to share our conversation with her vet.